W124 washer jets...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyW124

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
Hello Chaps,

I heard that the washer jets on a 124 are heated/warm up a little when the temp falls to a certain level.

Is this true?

Went outside today to test in the frosty conditions and let the car run for a bit. Whilst the mirrors were touch warm i didnt really feel this with the jets.

Here's a pic of the connections that may conclude if they are heated.

Attachments

• Brent-20121202-00360.jpg
    Brent-20121202-00360.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 39
..just thinking if these wires are related more to the washer system itself rather than connections for a heating element?

The washer jets on a W124 are heated. No good if your washer bottle is frozen, though. There was a factory option for very cold countries of fitting a heating element to the washer bottle. Very unlikely that your car will have it. Mercedes sell a screen wash that will prevent the washer fluid freezing down to -20 degrees C. It's expensive and can be diluted 50/50 to still work at -10, but it does work. Essential in a cold snap.

Oddly I have the coiled metal heating element which carries coolant through the washer bottle. UK origin E300d estate.

The washer jets on a W124 are heated. No good if your washer bottle is frozen, though. There was a factory option for very cold countries of fitting a heating element to the washer bottle. Very unlikely that your car will have it. Mercedes sell a screen wash that will prevent the washer fluid freezing down to -20 degrees C. It's expensive and can be diluted 50/50 to still work at -10, but it does work. Essential in a cold snap.

I thought they would have been touch warm this morning, unless they arent working?!

I'm going to retrofit the option for the actual heated washer bottle using the coils. I have all the kit for it. Just need to figure out how it interconnects to the coolant system.

Oddly I have the coiled metal heating element which carries coolant through the washer bottle. UK origin E300d estate.

This is perfect, when you get a chance could you please have a look at your set up and follow the two rubber hoses from the washer botle and see where they interconnect to please? I would be very greatful. :thumb:

1st posting

Right; just been out to film the car I'm with, which isn't the E300D, but still a W124 (E250D). This one is ex-German, so the heater coil makes sense. Pitch black here, so shooting by feel, and so I can't be clear on where the metal down pipe goes to (that the rubber is jubilee'd on to).

2 postings due to pix file size (6 in all).

Hope these are of some use.

Malcolm

Attachments

• DSCN0753.JPG
    DSCN0753.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0754.JPG
    DSCN0754.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0755.JPG
    DSCN0755.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 42
2nd posting

Bonne chance

Attachments

• DSCN0756.JPG
    DSCN0756.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0757.JPG
    DSCN0757.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0758.JPG
    DSCN0758.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 26
many thanks for your help mejermy.

it looks as though i'd have to bypass or join the pipes so they feed through the coils in the bottle...

the pipe on the left on the bottle looks simple enough, the right one looks a bit tricky!!

must be brill having hot and steamy screen wash all over your windscreen!!

Last edited:
Yes. I've just had a glance on the EPC to try to ID the bits you'd need, but they aren't jumping out at me. If you don't use the EPC I suggest you ask the dealer; the odd hose or so can't cost a fortune.

Think ive found it, although maybe slightly different set up to your 124 the same concept would apply me thinks...

Last edited:
By the way, fiddling through the WIS I came across these 2 docs, which I gather we're not supposed to publish on the forum, so have to PM or email; 82-0790 Function of heated windscreen washer nozzle and 82-0795 Function of heated windscreen washer system. Looks as though you already have the nozzles.

Let me know your address if you want 'em. I don't think we can attach to PMs

Think ive found it

I saw that as well, but it didn't seem right at all. Hence my difficulty finding the right page. Dinner beckons shortly, but will have a look later. If I don't get back to you and you have no luck the dealer should earn his brass on this one. Let me know on the WIS docs (although perhaps you have access). Worth a glance.

I'll be watching this thread with interest Billy to see how you get on.
I'd love to add this myself some point down the line.

Thanks for sending the docs through,

having looked at the docs, it says for the heated windscreen washer system, 'Resistence wires are installed in the hoses from the reservior to the windscreen washer nozzles, and also at the check valve' I assume they mean this in the diagram below,

However does this mean that if the washer nozzles are already heated then the electric portion of this set up i'd only need is part 68?

Does anyone know where part 56 would be located? Its a heating element. If i locate this bit i'm hoping to find it with the capability to add the two resistence wires as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Looking at your earliest post with the pic, aren't your nozzles already heated?

I have this is the archive; different model, and not your 12v wire colour, but still a W124

Attachments

• WiringWasherNozzles.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 31
indeed, i think they already are going on the general consensus and looking at the connections from it we would assume that the nozzles are heated.

...I was trying to figure out if part 68 is the bit that is maybe refered to in the extract taken from the doc. You can see wires attached to the hose which connects to the pump in some way.

the PDF seems to suggest that part 68 is a seperate addition and will be needed as opposed to a set up without the heated wash system..

Last edited:
I think 68 is irrelevant and the nozzles are already heated. You could check of course with a DMM on the terminals.

Washer reservoir heater element

Here are the pix showing where the longer connection (down) pipe goes. It ends up at the duo valves.

Attachments

• DSCN0761.JPG
    DSCN0761.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0762.JPG
    DSCN0762.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 18
My car has those coils too...

They can rot though and then you will wonder why your screenwash bottle is overflowing and your coolant is going missing ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom