w124/what options for cooling improvement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dogan124

Car
1991 w124 300td (estate) & 1988 Golf II TD
I have a nice w124 300 td (wagon non-turbo diesel) with AC and AT and it has the factory fitted radiator.

I want to know in what ways I can improve the cooling for the engine, engine oil and AT oil.

Is there a more efficient radiator in w124 family ?(like 300TE ?)

May I apply some small radiators for cooling oils?

I think the turbo diesels have a cooling system for engine oil. Is it possible to convert mine to that ?

I have just swapped my caravan for a larger one and I beleive the previous one was just on the edge for cooling concernes.

Thanks for any contribution...

Dogan

On my '93 280e the oil cooler is a heat exchanger located by No 5 cylinder. It is not a radiator as such.
Don't know about diesels though.

Add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter to the coolant. I've used it in many cars and it makes a noticeable difference to where the temperature gauge reads.

Reactions: PJH
i found that when i had a new a/c radiator fitted (due to it leaking) the cooling improved significvantly.

Try removing the radiator and cleaning it, maybe with a low pressure jet wash? clear out any debris (leaves etc) between the two - you might be amazed at what collects in there.

Check with the patented 'carrot test' (do a search) that the fan is coupled properly - I thought the one on the GF's sprinter was - until a merc technician just went - nah, and stopped it with his hand :crazy:

make sure the ratio of anti freeze is correct.

flush the whole system - just plumb in a hose pipe on full blast through the engine for half an hour... (ie disconnect the top hose to the radiator, disconnect lower hose, and bodge in a hose pipe if you can (wrap loads of tape round a hose pipe or similar. pump water in from bottom so that water flow around ALL of the engine, not just the easiest flow path))

HTH

Guy

guydewdney said:
Check with the patented 'carrot test' (do a search) that the fan is coupled properly - I thought the one on the GF's sprinter was - until a merc technician just went - nah, and stopped it with his hand :crazy:

He lost three fingers but eventually the fan stopped.:crazy: :crazy:

As Guy says perform a system flush and clean the rad out externally.

A petrol radiator may waste more heat as it is designed to do that anyway.

You could either buy or make oil coolers to plumb into the oil circuit.

Thanks for all the repplies.

I have already had the radiator cleaned by some kind of skewer and got a considerable improvement. I do not expect more from it.

I will check for the additives.

AT oil coolining seems an easier job, (cut the pipe coming from the AT unit for cooing. Then implace a small radiator around in front of the car. Apply high quality labor though. Any suggestion?)

Engine oil cooling however is more difficult I expect. Does any body have more detail about fitting cooling systems for oil ? That of turbo diesel especially?

Regards.

Dogan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom