W124 Wiper Lubrication help needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamie280e

Car
1990 260E Carat Duchatelet
Hi All,

Ive found the 'how to' on lubricating the wiper mechanism on the W124 but am struggling.

First clip is off, Ive removed the hex bolt (what does that actually do) BUT its doesnt appear that the big plastic cover on mine is plastic.
It seems to be metal and Ive no idea of how to remove.
I camt find any other clips or anything.

Seems like its clam-shelled to the bottom piece and Ive tried inserting a screwdriver and levereing apart but it just chews the metal up.

Any ideas - Wiper was struggling on a long journey this weekend and think its in urgent need of sorting!

Maybe I have a different arrangement ?

Thanks - Any helps greatly appreciated.

Jamie

i did mine the other day; i just pulled the big plastic cover off (which is plastic) and moved it up a bit. with the arm in the straight up position, you can lubricate everything and clip it back together within 1 minute. no hex bolt removed on mine - maybe i only did half the job.... :confused: wiper was fine before anyway so didnt see any difference.

Thanks - How did you pull the cover off exactly - Im almost certain mine is metal...

there was a change of design in the assembly, and method of removal is much easier on the later models - unfortunately for you.

I do not immediately know how to dismantle your one, but hang on in here as someone will be able to help.

Mines a 1990 version so maybe its a sealed unit or something ?

Mines a 1990 version so maybe its a sealed unit or something ?
Hi Jamie,

The cover on my W201 sounds like the same design. It too has a metal cover. I couldn't work out how to remove it either so I just extended the wiper as far as it could go(mid position) and lubricated the piston a few times. It did make it a lot smoother.

Have you checked that the wiper blade also the correct spec for the car? If it's an aftermarket blade, some of them are a bit chunky and friction can occur and cause the blade to appear to judder.

The blade should sit in the middle of the guiders. It probably worth checking this too. :thumb:

PS. if you do get to the bottom of it, take a few photos and update the HOWTO article.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice - Maybe a Mercedes tech can help me

The early metal covers need to be unbolted from underneath IRRC which means unbolting the entire wiper mechanism to get access. Worth doing when you find out the price of a replacement! Try checking with a mirror round the lower edge.

Thanks - You guys (and gals at the risk of sounding un PC!) are always helpful!
I can feel some little bolts underneath but dont think I can get anything to them as theres no space ?
Any ideas how to get the whole thing off ? I want to get it done before its tool late and the thing ceases or breaks.
Thanks
Jamie

Thanks - How do I remove the unit to get to those screws etc ?

First of all you need to put the bonnet in the upright position.

Try to stop the wiper in the upright/central position by switching the ignition off during the sweep.

Then you need to pull up the two trims that run along the bottom of the windscreen. This will expose several screws that hold the three sections of black plastic trim with the vents in it.
Remove the screws and remove the trims. There are two white plastic pull out retaining clips, one on each side just under the trim that join the three pieces together, these just pull out towards the engine. You will also need to remove the trim that sits under the rubber seal around the engine firewall, there are four black thumb turn screws that come off some studs that stick out just behind the engine.

Once exposed, remove the semi-circular trim and rubber seal around the base of the wiper arm, again this should just pull out.

There are four nuts which hold the wiper mechanism brackets onto the bulkhead. Undo these nuts and pull the complete mechanism up and out, making sure to pull the connector plug out of the back.

Turn the mech over and remove the screws in the base. Squirt the spray grease in there, the more the better. Some will find its way out of the joints but don't worry. I also sprayed some down the two small holes where the push rod comes out.

Re-fitting is the reverse, make sure you don't get any grease on the blade or windscreen!

It sounds complicated but it really isn't, just makes your back ache a bit!:)

Thanks mate - That really is spot on and much appreciated - Cheers for taking the time to explain that to me!
Ill get it done on Saturday weather permitting - Is it worth me trying to inject some grease (thicker stuff than the spray grease) or anything ?
Thanks
Jamie

Thanks mate - That really is spot on and much appreciated - Cheers for taking the time to explain that to me!
Ill get it done on Saturday weather permitting - Is it worth me trying to inject some grease (thicker stuff than the spray grease) or anything ?
Thanks
Jamie

No problem. I don't think you will be able to get anything else in the holes to be honest unless you have a pump with a very small nozzle. Have fun!:D

Older wiper lube

Hi all, my solution for the pre plastic covers ie aluminium was to drill a small hole in the base of the cover just big enough to allow the straw of a white grease aerosol to pass through. Bish bash bosh. Job done.

W124 Wiper Problems

W124 Wiper Not Working. Thanks everyone who contributed to this message string. Just fixed the problem on my 1995 E200 which I have had from new. Now done 206k. Rusty round the wings but going strong. Originally diagnosed the issue to be faulty relay. Sourced a used one from Dronsfields. Great service and value. Problem actually has turned out to be lubrication, so now have a spare relay which works, wipers, washers hazards and heated rear window if anyone needs one. Lube problem was mechanism behind the bulkhead, rather than the wiper arm itself, but the instructions here were great. Reassembling, I seem to inadvertently left it so the wiper now parks on the near side, presumably designed for LHD vehicles so that the first sweep clears the driver's side first. Not ideal, but will leave it for now. Best, John M, Suffolk UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom