w124 with 216000 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gt-83

Car
1992 300ce
Would anybody (other than myself) consider taking on such a high mileage car 216000 miles, my thinking is that anything that it has needed has been replaced......or am i being optimistic

I don't really see the problem - they don't wear out with mileage, they normally become scrapped due to rust or lack of maintenance.

Obviously there's other considerations - and all things being equal a lower mileage one might be nicer, but my 124 has nearly 200k on the clock and isn't any worse as a result. Bit of rust on the front wings and some along one of the side windows (it's a TE), but if it had 50k or 100k it'd still look the same inside and out, interior is as new (honestly no wear at all!)

Higher mileage ones tend to be cheaper, so I guess it could be a good buy if it's been properly looked after.

What 124 is it anyway? :)

Will

227K on my 300D. No major worries.

Just having a rolling prog of preventative fettling done at the moment. As that Geordie Lass would say. "It deserves it"

Things like ARB's, rear subframe bushes, track rod ends and stuff.

Bear in mind the seller could be pulling a fast one and have run the car into the deck before selling it. Just because its a 124 does not mean it has been looked after. Some of my cheap buys have had to have the purchase price (say £400) spent on them again to get them up to standard.

Good Luck with it.

car is a 260e, 1987 !!.....but it is a one owner car with a full history and in very good condition (slight scab on one arch), thats it.

I have a 1993 W124 300TD Estate with over 221,000 miles on the clock, I use it everyday for work and social, often adding 2000 miles a month to that total. Its the only transport I have, I have it serviced regularly by my local Indy and I have no inclination to replace it for something else. Its a brilliant masterpiece of German Engineering that gets admiring looks and comments everywhere I go. Hope this helps you make a decision. :thumb:

Go for it GT - if it's cheap enough you can always sell it on and get your money back once you've done with it!

car is a 260e, 1987 !!.....but it is a one owner car with a full history and in very good condition (slight scab on one arch), thats it.

My 1989 190E 2.6 (same great M103 engine) has just turned 200k miles. Regularly and properly maintained from new. Can't see me ever changing it.

Nuff said.

Just bought a W124 E300d with 230k on the clock and due to the overall condition of the vehicle i'm confident it will reach 500k without too many problems. Condition is everything!

My w124 E36 estate now has 263k on the clock and runs beautifully (apart from the immobiliser getting stuck on a couple of weeks back....). Budget a little for an ATF change if it has not been done and go for it.

My W124 300 TE 4Matic has over 230k, still going strong!!:thumb::)

Bought my first W124 two years ago, a 1991 300e with 170k and good history for £500 and I was blown away by how well it drove. If they've been looked after these cars will easily do really big miles, have a look at some of the mileages on w124s at mobile.de.

w124 e300td (t=estate) 215,000 miles. Will probably last another 100,000 at least provided the rust monster is kept at bay. As previously stated, rust and irregular use are the greatest enemies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom