W124 zinc plate inserts between the wishbone and front spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaxMatt

Car
1993 W124 300E 2.8
On page 5 of the service manual PDF regarding the procedure of changing front springs I found that UK and Sandinavian versions of W124 have zinc plate inserts under the front springs.

http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/32-0200.pdf

I guess those inserts are to prevent corrosion and since my original set of springs rusted out and eventually broke I'd like to install the new set with those inserts. I've already found the PN:
coil_spring_shim.jpg

The question is - where exactly should they be placed? Which side up?

As You can see in the pic - there are two sides - one with the metal folded in and one with the metal folded out (I don't know if that makes sense - just hope You see it in the pic).

I'd really like to do it properly and the PDF doesn't really provide me with that info.
Can someone check how are those shims installed on a UK version?

I'd be very grateful for a photo.

Thanks
Maciej

Hi,
They sit on the bottom of the coil spring the shape of the zinc strip is like that so it can,t slip out when in place under the spring, with this in mind you should be able to ascertain which way up it sits on the lower arm.
Most of these rot away (as that is what they are designed to do) so photos might be a problem.

Last edited:
hmm
is this of any relevance to W124 front springs breaking regularly? Garage that did mine made no mention of zinc spacers...

cheers
balge

This was tried in the early 90's to slow corrosion on the front springs especially. It was later abandoned since it appeared ineffective in most cases . It might slow corrosion slightly but once the spring protective coating is breached it does not prevent surface corrosion. Since spring failure is due to small corrosion induced cracks on the unprotected spring surface acting as a focus for spring internal stresses [ introduced during manufacture ] and thus allow fracture to occur and not because the spring "rusts through" If you are installing new front springs its perhaps worth fitting them under the spring ends as they may help-slightly and cost very little I guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom