W124CE M103 fan blower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jra

Car
W124 300CE
Hi All,
I have an issue with my blower. I have read tons of Threds and most point to the external fuse mounted near the strut, I don’t have this on my car maybe cos I have a European car.
Previous owner hard wired a permanent live directly to the blower control ( mine is a turn control) and everything worked so I guess I don’t have a issue with fan control, blower motor etc

It seems I do not get power to the fan control 95% of the time as strangely it came on for a brief moment once.

I guess the question is why do I not get power to the fan control 95% of the time and how the heck do I resolve it

Thanks
John

Attachments

• B3A75A81-C728-4065-8F52-18368C5A277E.jpeg
    B3A75A81-C728-4065-8F52-18368C5A277E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • A79E7AE6-D6FE-4AF4-A572-ABBC02524D01.jpeg
    A79E7AE6-D6FE-4AF4-A572-ABBC02524D01.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Check the live to make sure that it is, what’s the word, live oh yes and if it is run a direct live from the battery, with an inline fuse preferably. If the fan runs, the wiring that you have may have broken down internally and not produce enough current, obviously you have checked the ground, right?

If the fan doesn’t run, its the fan try, carefully turning it slightly by hand, if it starts to spin it’s the brushes on the blower motor

Check the live to make sure that it is, what’s the word, live oh yes and if it is run a direct live from the battery, with an inline fuse preferably. If the fan runs, the wiring that you have may have broken down internally and not produce enough current, obviously you have checked the ground, right?

If the fan doesn’t run, its the fan try, carefully turning it slightly by hand, if it starts to spin it’s the brushes on the blower motor
Hi, the direct live from the battery did not have a inline fuse nor did I want it as I often forgot to turn the fan of and I would come back to a flat battery.

Ground is good
I put the multimeter on the fan control and I get nothing but as I said the very odd occasion the fan will come on

Okay, get an ignition wired live to the fan and then check with that. I once had a radio fan that wouldn’t come on and it was the staton the fan. okay, get an ignition wired live to the fan and then check with that. I once had a radio fan that wouldn’t come on and it was the stats on the fan so I wired it to an ignition live so I live and it came on with the ignition. I could have actually put a switch in line but left it on all the time.

As far as the fan goes, check it how I said and see what happens, my guess would be the brushes have gone in the motor which you can check by wiring it up, and if it doesn’t spin give it a push

Hi All,
I have an issue with my blower. I have read tons of Threds and most point to the external fuse mounted near the strut, I don’t have this on my car maybe cos I have a European car.
Previous owner hard wired a permanent live directly to the blower control ( mine is a turn control) and everything worked so I guess I don’t have a issue with fan control, blower motor etc

It seems I do not get power to the fan control 95% of the time as strangely it came on for a brief moment once.

I guess the question is why do I not get power to the fan control 95% of the time and how the heck do I resolve it

Thanks
John
Does your car not have a blower motor resistor to control the blower motors speed currently? Sounds like you need to pull it all apart and put it back to factory.

Looking at your first photo you also appear to have a failed strut top mount (see crack in rubber).

stru3.jpg

Update

So I foound a ignition live and connected it to the blower fan control and everything works !
So I guess at some point I am now going to have to trace the original wires and solve the problem. Oh joy

The other issue I know have is that I only get hot air through the vents and I mean 🥵

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom