w126 280se advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booker190e

hi iam thinking of buying w126 280se auto 101.000 miles s/h 1985 no visable rust on pics any advice and rough price welcomed

how does it run? any basic service history? get in the car and take it for a drive. This will tell you what you need to know.

Are there clunks? how does it shift? any clattering from the engine bay? does it come with an MOT?

hi

i havnt driven car yet , full detailed service history , the owner says its perfect ha well lets suppose theres no clunks , plus gearbox works fine and its ok plus no oil leaks or smoke , the owner says hes paid 1100 for it and needs cash asap but would take 900 i was thinking if car is in good order about 625 to 650 ?? plus m.o.t till may or june 2013

Not the best combination imho the 280 m110 twin cam engine is a good engine but they are notoriously noisey on the top end. They aren't the best on fuel either not significantly better on fuel than the V8's. being a 280 it will be a pre 85 model so the bumper chromes should be good as they were for some reason better than the later ones.
Check for rust in the usual places front wings especially. Under the rear parcel shelf in the boot area obviously the arches and the floor..
Check the sunroof works and check under the carpets for damp as the sunroof drains can rot out and leak. The water runs down and drips of the A pillars.
The post 85 cars had the m103 engine which was a smoother more refined engine.
Hope this helps.

hi

hi cheers for all the advice i have still to view the car its in cheshire , the guy whos selling it bought it from a dealer in fulham for £915.00 about 3 weeks ago and hence hes selling it becauce he has fallen on hard times ? ive offered him £700.00 prior to me inspecting the car , he states the cars sweet as a nut , its on e-bay at moment .

hi cheers for all the advice i have still to view the car its in cheshire , the guy whos selling it bought it from a dealer in fulham for £915.00 about 3 weeks ago and hence hes selling it becauce he has fallen on hard times ? ive offered him £700.00 prior to me inspecting the car , he states the cars sweet as a nut , its on e-bay at moment .

I'd be very suspicious of someone trying to dispose of a car after only 3 weeks.

If it is the one in the other thread , then it does look tidy .

Misfiring issues could either be the dizzy cap or ignition leads ( due to cable routing and lack of space they are prone to short to ground ) .

Cruise control issues as mentioned tend to be the amplifier .

Price is whatever you feel it is worth .

I only paid £100 for mine with no MOT or s/h ; only needed 2 bits of welding and a brake pipe . The blue/green one pictured below

hi

hi thats the one which i was interested on e-bay , but i offered the guy a price he said it stands him said pounds i found the ad where he bought it from 3 weeks before he paid £915.00 he had said he had fallen on hard times and needed monies asap but i offered him a deal on one of my own here the best bit he said its ok ive got a top of the range bmw ??? so i suspect theres somethink amiss with motor plus hes using the same ad where he bought it from in others words the guy he bought it from thats the dealers abode in back ground mmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom