W126 300SDL - anyone ever imported one to the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Not sure I've ever seen one here but for some odd reason I'm sort of interested to find out if anyone has brought one in?

I wonder how it got through the import process as you need an EU certificate of conformity.

To the best of my knowledge and belief it was only made for the US market.

the body is std 300 w126 engine is from 300 td so presume it passes this way but true together is only for USofa

I'd forgotten the application in the W124.

The car in question is an om603.

I wonder how it got through the import process as you need an EU certificate of conformity.

To the best of my knowledge and belief it was only made for the US market.

Over 10yo, you don't need Type Approval or an IVA.

When I used to live in Wandsworth SW17 a fellow around the corner had one but I never managed to catch him to have a good old chin wag about it.

They're pretty rare it must be said.

I have been offered one at a good price with relatively low miles, already in the EU but needing the headlight conversion etc, with superb provenance but some bits of paint in need of work (sun exposure rather than rusty bubbles). Despite the fact I need another car like a hole in the head I'm strangely tempted as I love this era of Benz, don't want something heavy on petrol and adore the low down torque of a turbodiesel.

AFAIK the new OM603 engine was offered from autumn 1985 in the W126 in the states. As mentioned it was the same 143 BHP 184 ft/lb 3 litre Garret turbo diesel as first offered on the US market and possibly Japan? in the W124 saloon. The early cars had problems with the emisions controls trap oxidiser and EGR valves [ sound familiar?] but sorted after a year. As a last fling in 1990 they brought out a 3.5 litre version of the OM603 [ bored and stroked] but that only lasted for around 6 months till the W140 arrived. Despit its increased capacity it appears to have less power but more torque than the 3 litre --- 134bhp 229 ft/lb which perhaps points to increased strangulation by emissions controls? AFAIK most if not all these cars for the US market were SDL = LONG WHEEL BASE MODELS 208.1 inches long compared to the standard 196.7 inches [ altho some of that may down to bumpers?] basically 6 inches longer in wheelbase. This may be important to fit in some garages?

The limiting factor in my garage is the width, but more accurately, the fact it has an SM and will have a 250CE in it!

Edit Measured it and it would fit. It's actually narrower than my SM and 10 cm longer.

Last edited:
300sdl-spec-sheet-automobiles-de-luxe.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom