W126 420SEC idles at 1600rpm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TerryM

My 1986 420 SEC had sat in the garage for seven years unused until November last when I completed some cosmetic and mechanical work before putting it back on the road. It is a catalytic converter car with lambda sensor.

Last saturday at the end of a forty mile round trip, on selecting 'park' the revs rose to about 1600 rpm at idle and refused to go back to normal tick over.

The drive had been over undulating A roads at around 50 to 60 mph and I used the "s" auto box mode for overtaking farm traffic twice but returned to "e" mode approaching home.

I do not have a Merc workshop manual, only a USA Bentley Publishers Bosch FI & EM book which gives generic but not model specific information so I am slightly in the dark for diagnostics.

With a cold engine I checked to ensure there is no throttle binding anywhere, and then connected my test meter to the two wires on the auxilliary air valve. With ignition on the the valve vibrates and voltage fluctuates in a range from zero to around 2 volts, much lower than the 12 volt battery voltage I expected, but that was just my guess.
The valve also works off the car with a 12 volt supply.

On starting from cold the engine ran at normal tick over speed, great thought I!!!!!!!! However before I could get the top off the can to celebrate the revs went back up to 1600 rpm. This was only about 1 minute after starting from cold, and the top hose from engine to radiator was a little warm but perhaps not even human body heat.

The low voltage at the aux. air valve prompted me to look for throttle body switches as I found these previously on another car with a Bosch motronic system controlling voltage to this valve, but I can see none and do not want to remove the whole FI system just to confirm it.

So I then thought about the warm up issue, and on the casting to which the top radiator hose connects there are two brass sensors in the cooling water flow. One has a single push on wire terminal(it has a hex. of 17 mm) and is stamped"120 C", the second is bigger(21 mm hex I think) with two separate sensor connections, one has a single push on wire terminal and the second has a double push on wire terminal. I cannot read the marking as access is difficult.

I have no idea what the electrical diagnostics for these sensors cold and hot should be?

My final thought is that the lambda sensor may be faulty, but so far I have not even looked in that direction.

I am up the creek at the moment and will welcome some sound advice.

Perhaps I need to get a workshop manual. Does anyone have knowledge of the CD versions sometimes advertised?

Terry

Had this once and changed the OVP relay which cured the problem

Forgive my ignorance, is the OVP what I call the fuel pump relay via which the AA Valve is powered?

the OVP relay controls a lot of the other relays.. Its mounted on the firewall... has one or two 10A fuses in the top...

Worth changing, you can get them from the dealer for around £60 or from Euro Car Parts for a bit less.

Thank you very much. The one on my firewall is about 25 mm square with a red top, 10 amp fuse and flip up clear cover. It has the usual basic auto relay 5 terminals (31,30,87,87,15) which usually cost 3 quid until they put those round pins on the bottom.

If I am wrong let me know. Otherwise many thanks again.

I have just fitted the replacement OVP at the Merc dealership but unfortunately the problem persists, I will let it all cool down and see what voltage I get at the the air valve terminals now. However I am wondering if the wiring back to the relay is a problem, at the valve one is black and the other yellow and black----do you know to which pins on the relay they are connected, if so I can check continuity-----looks almost impossible to turn the relay socket over for access due to the harness being quite short.

The valve does not now operate normally, it cycles--but with a low amplitude --and the engine revs surge slightly in concert with it.

The valve has its own control unit which I believe is under the dash in a truly awkward position.

That sounds about par for the course when I get a problem, it is never easily accessible!

If you have a revelation or two please be so kind as to let me know.

Thanks again.

Ian,

I will be most grateful if you will review this thread and add any comments you think appropriate. Location of the aux. air valve controller if known would be helpful and any diagnostics etc.

This car is LHD, so it is a mirror image in some respects. In the front passenger(right) footwell behind the plastic panel you describe there are five Merc electronic boxes plus a stereo amplifier. The two lower boxes are oblong aluminium cans, one larger than the other and the upper three are black plastic looking oblong boxes. Would you by any chance know which one I should be looking at, or perhaps what the markings are as each has numerical coding?

See my ebay link, all the ones I have ever removed all look like the above.

The problem is that there are so many possible causes and I have no comprehensive diagram from which to eliminate them systematically. As it appears temperature dependent the coolant temp. vacuum actuated switches on the inlet manifold are also suspect and probably more subject to failure than solid state electronics. So I will have it on the diagnostics at the Merc. main dealer tomorrow.

Thank you for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom