w126 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amg 500

Car
w126 500 sel AMG... 280 sl 1983
hi im new......many questions.

i have a very good example w126 500 sel on a 89....im looking 2 change the engine 2 the 560 just need 2 know the main things i will have 2 change swop ecu ...etc cheers rick..:dk:

Hi Nick, if you can get a donnor car to take parts from as there is quite a lot to swap over.

The gearbox will need changing as the 560 has a large opening for a flywheel sensor, the engine looms are slightly different so these will need to be changed over. The fuel and the ignition ecu will need to be swaped, as will the air filter housing.

I'm not sure but I think the 560 has a later exhaust manifold and downpipe setup to give more power aswell.

Like I say get a donnor car so you have everything you need.

The speedo needs changing to and maybe the diff to go with it
As ^ a donor car is the way

:crazy:....right...lol..are you sure about the manifolds ?? i was told thay are the same and why would i need 2 change the speedo and diff??...if thats the case on the manifold do u know of any companys that can make me up a performance manifold ?:thumb:

Last edited:
You need to get input form Talbir, he has done a 500se to 560se conversion himself.

If you want to do it right,you'll have to remember that the 560 speedo goes to 170mph

oh right...cheers do you speak 2 him personally if so could u please forward on my questions or maybe he could message me cheers rick

even thought the engines are similar there are some differences.

EZL (ECU)
Gearbox
Various wiring differences

You could probably get away with the speedo althought it may read slightly wrong.

Ensure you buy a NON ASR 560 engine, cars with ASR have all sorts of extra gubbins to deal with.

if you can get an engine from a 88> car it should be plug and play, the gearbox will fit although the 560's gearboxes can handle higher torque i belive, people will tell you that you need different ECU's but in reality a 500 ECU and ignition module will run a 560, manifolds will be the same as will down pipes, I dont know why you would need to do anything with the air filter housing. As for ASR I think the only difference would be the actuator in the throttle linkage mechanism which you can replace with the one from you 500.

if you can get an engine from a 88> car it should be plug and play, the gearbox will fit although the 560's gearboxes can handle higher torque i belive, people will tell you that you need different ECU's but in reality a 500 ECU and ignition module will run a 560, manifolds will be the same as will down pipes, I dont know why you would need to do anything with the air filter housing. As for ASR I think the only difference would be the actuator in the throttle linkage mechanism which you can replace with the one from you 500.

The gearbox will bolt to the engine, but dose not have the cut-out bellhousing for the 560's extra sensor above the flywheel. (I've been there :eek:) You will also need the extra wiring to go with this. (hence the donor car)

The ecu and ignition module will run the 560 but it will not be at full power due to the diferent ecu's having diferent maps and settings. (ignition curve ect)

The air filter housing may need to be swaped as not all 500's have the daul intake airbox that the 560 has and needs!

an '89 500 will have a cut out in the bell housing for the crank position sensor as I have one in my 1989 500SEC. Ignition module characteristics can be changed by swapping out the reference resistor. All 560's will have the dual snorkel air filter housing (except maybe R107's)

I've learnt something here, I always thought it was just the 560 that had the cut-out bellhousing. I had to create the opening needed for the sensor when I swaped the gearbox in mine :doh:

I mentioned the airbox because if he's going to buy just the bits needed for the conversion it will be needed.

I know about the ezl reference resistor, but as far as I know this is only for ignition timing advance or retard. To get the most out of the engine you will need the ecu's, as they will have a diferent power curve.

hello peeps....i can get the 560 engine 560 ecu's and gear box if needed......what about engine loom and diff ?...my 500 already has duel filter pipes into pan......to be honest im just after a bit more power.:D... is there any other ways i know CKS do a exhaust system but i would want a manifold 2 any other things i could do 2 the 500 2 gain more power (heads or cams ??)..:dk:

Last edited:
Definitely grab the ecu's, you will only need the gearbox if your's dosent have the cutout for the sensor. If your gearbox has the sensor you wont need the engine loom either as this is the main difference.

hello peeps....i can get the 560 engine 560 ecu's and gear box if needed......what about engine loom and diff ?...my 500 already has duel filter pipes into pan......to be honest im just after a bit more power.:D... is there any other ways i know CKS do a exhaust system but i would want a manifold 2 any other things i could do 2 the 500 2 gain more power (heads or cams ??)..:dk:

You need deep pockets if you want to get extra power out of the 560, there arent many bolt on parts available, this guy does exhaust manifolds and other expensive bits Elbe Engineering - Headers

ok i will find out....thanks alot for your help everybody gonna make a decision soon.....watch this space lol...

I know you may be attached to your existing car because you know it to be in good condition etc .......

however , if a 560 is what you want , why not just buy a 560 and be done with it ?

There are so many other differences , such as the all round hydropneumatic suspension , different final drive ratio , different tyres , surely it would be simpler to just change the car ?

Oh , BTW , P D Gough make manifolds and full systems for the 500 in stainless steel - see link below to see mine

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/96547-exhausting-day.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom