w126 500SE - mystery petrol leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mhblue

Car
500SE 1984 w126 30k on the clock
I have a near mint 1984 w126 500SE (30k miles).

The car has been in storage for many years and I'm now using it on a regular basis.

Other than one of the window motors and switch I haven't had any problems with the car at all - until now.

It is leaking petrol, but it is proving impossible to find out where from. From the stain that forms when it is parked on dry ground, it is from somewhere near where the filler enters the tank, but there is nothing visible / smell-able (if you know what I mean).

The car is currently at my local independent and we have had the car up on the ramp to no avail. He has never seen this problem particularly on my vintage of car where the tank is protected.

Anybody got any ideas. I will not have access to the car again until Monday as it is staying where it is - but any things you think might make sense to check on Monday will be gratefully received!

Cheers...

It will be from the fuel pump package... a lot of the time, the leak seals itself after its been running a while so can be difficult to find.

Thanks jaymanek

That would also I guess explain why sometimes it leaks fuel, and other times it doesn't.

At the moment it is holding a quarter tank, while at other times it leaks down to fumes...

I'll mention your suggestion to my man on monday

check out d fuel tank..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom