W126 500SEL M117 Rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

h17n dj

Car
W126 500SEL
Good Afternoon Guys and Girls,

As the title suggests, I'm wanting to do an engine rebuild on the above engine. Purely because my valve stem oil seals need renewing and with mileage being 158K, the timing chain, tensioner etc could do with renewing. I might aswell do a top end rebuild.

Any hints and tips as to what I will need for this? Special tooling, additional parts, any further tips?

all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If it's just the valve stem seals and timing chain, you dont need to do a rebuild. Beware of the headbolts on the m117, they have a nasty habit of pulling the threads out of the block.

Thanks very much... I kinda want to take the heads off and get them skimmed etc just for peace of mind and makesure everything is ok.

Thanks for the tip on the headbolts.

In addition to the above, anybody painted their rocker/cam covers? black looks a little dull and old now... I was thinking of powder coating them in the body colour or even a metallic black... thoughts please?

In addition to the above, anybody painted their rocker/cam covers? black looks a little dull and old now... I was thinking of powder coating them in the body colour or even a metallic black... thoughts please?

Metallic black - I've seen that and it looked good.

I think I agree there... Want to keep OEM ish look but a freshen up at the same time.

When I did the M117 450 I have I had the cam covers polished. They look like chrome now and have not oxidised or tarnished. Really like the finish much better than the black but then mine were never painted. If you are taking the heads off you will need an offset allen key socket because some of the bolts are not accessible. MB do a special tool but will not sell you one. People have made ones or you can buy one from the US but not cheap. I tried a few solutions but ended up using a socket for an air impact driver which was long enough. There is a limit on skimming the heads but I did end up exceeding it although without any consequences. It is hard work stripping everything off particularly if you go further as the timing cover is a real pain more so to fit. Any way good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom