W126 500sel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
After 4-1/2 years of enjoyment , I have decided it is time to move on from W126 ownership .

This is a 1986 500SEL on a 'D' registration . The car is in DB 199 Blue/Black with Mushroom leather interior ; it has two electric front seats and the electric reclining rear seat . The old R12 air con no longer works and would need converted to the new R134a gas . Cruise control works peerfectly , the car also has illuminated visors , electric rear blind and reading lights in the rear .

The seats are a set of facelift style mushroom leather ones which replaced the old worn pre facelift mushroom seats which were in the car when I bought it - the car had left the factory with velour but this had been changed sometime in the past . All seats are currently in good condition save for some slight wear to the driver's bolster ; I have a new matching Mushroom leather cover for the driver's seat in the attic which will come with the car .

I will need to check the mileages when I get home as I changed the speedo about a year after I got the car , due to an intermittent problem with the cruise control ( which now works reliably and perfectly ) , but I think the car will have covered somewhere north of 200,000 .

I ran the car continuously for four years with minimal problems , other than routine servicing it has required a couple of ball joints , rear springs and one front spring . Servicing has been carried out regularly by myself during my ownership and the engine runs faultlessly .

When the MOT expired at the end of last year , I took the car off the road , intending to look at suspension bushes , brakes etc since a few clonks and knocks were beginning to become apparent .

I have a full set of ATE discs and pads , as well as new backplates for the front brakes , which will be included along with a host of other parts for the car .

I had also collected all the components necessary to retrofit self levelling rear suspension since , while the car sits nice and level when unladen , these cars do tend to sit down at the back with a fully laden boot and passengers in the back seats . Besides SLS , I also bought an LPG system from a club member who had it in his 420SEL - this will also come with the car .

The car has a full stainless steel exhaust system ( including quad downpipes in stainless ) supplied and fitted by PD Gough Ltd , as featured in my thread 'An Exhausting Day' . The system cost circa £700 about three years ago , but I understand that the current price for this system is now around £1100 .

The car has MB 15 hole alloy wheels with Pirelli P6000 tyres , all in good condition with plenty of tread ; the spare is a matching alloy with a P600 which looks never to have been used . I also have another two matching wheels , although the tyres on those are no good .

The sunroof stopped working last year due to the known fault of the inner cable coming out of the slotted outer guide below the sliding panel ; I have obtained a new inner and outer cable to fix this and these will come with the car .

The rear bumper has good chrome , but the chrome on the front bumper is starting to rust through ; however I obtained a pair of spare bumpers with good chrome and these will be included with the car .

The nearside front wing is starting to rust at the front corner just below the headlamp . I have two new front wings ( one genuine Mercedes , the other pattern ) however both are for the same side and I can't remember which .

The most serious thing wrong with the car is that the well known fault of the rear windscreen leaking and rotting out the parcel shelf below has set in - water is now leaking into the boot and the area under the shelf is very flaky - I have a repair section cut from a rust free donor car which will be included , or you can buy a new repair section from Mercedes for circa £100 . I also have two full sets of clean and dry carpets and trim for the boot which will be included .

As well as the above corrosion , there is rust around both rear wheelarches and , unfortunately the laquer is lifting off the rear half of the roof in places as well as off the bonnet in places ( I suspect due to substandard paintowrk in the past ) although this has not gone through to rust .

Besides all that I have mentioned above there are many , many more spare parts which will be included - front and rear lights , window regulators , a complete windscreen wiper assembly , radiator , new distributor cap and rotor arm , spare a/c compressor , lots and lots of small parts that I can barely remember never mind list .

Oh and I have the official factory workshop manuals for the W126 - three good telephone directory sized printed manuals - one covering the M117 V8 engines and the other two for the rest of the car .

The car starts and drives , although the starter motor has recently begun acting up as it is no longer in regular use , sometimes failing to engage properly , so it is easy to move around even if not road legal just now . Subject to legalities , I have no doubt that , if you had suitable insurance + an MOT appointment at the other end , trade plates or whatever needed that it would drive reliably to anywhere in the UK .

I suspect it would need the cause of the suspension knocks addressed to get through an MOT , but it is otherwise quite sound .

In summary , this is a complete , running car complete with lots of valuable parts which could either be a very worthwhile project for someone wanting to restore it , or a huge source of valuable parts for someone who already has one or more W126's .

The new M-B front wing must now be at least a couple of hundred to buy , the brake discs will be about the same , and the workshop manuals would change hands for upwards of £100 if I were to eBay them .

I would like to sell everything complete for £1000 , which is less than the current cost of the stainless exhaust system alone , and ( I think ) fair considering all that is included with it . I am really not keen to start selling off individual bits & pieces and would prefer someone to come along and take the whole lot away .

I will try to take some photographs at the weekend to show the current condition of the car and what is included with it .

The car and all the parts are located at my home in North Ayrshire .

OK , I promised some pictures , here they are .

Firstly , a few general shots of the car - I've concentrated on the bad bits .

OSF wing and bumper chrome starting to go

NSF wing

Laquer starting to lift off bonnet

General shots of engine bay , no problems in this area

Damaged ribs on grill , due to club badges - spare ribs to fix come with car

Side view , no dings or damage

Specimen photo of one wheel , all five on/in car are in same condition , plus another two spare ones included - I recently bought twenty new bolts after having two of the older ones snap and had to cut two wheels to get them off ( otherwise there would have been a second set of four wheels ! ) .

All four tyres on the car are matching Pirelli P6000 with similar tread depth to this one - all fully legal .

Rear view

OSR wing has rust around the wheelarch and the filler aperture - I suspect a poor repair prior to my ownership as it is the only panel rusting like this

Laquer lifting off the rear of the roof : when I bought the car it was stored on a farm and there was some sort of 'slurry' spattered across this area !

The boot has suffered from water ingress due to the leaking rear screen - I have dried it out and there is a new set of clean , dry carpets and trim to finish it once the leak is fixed . The pictures shows one of the two pairs of spare headlamps / indicators , with wash/wipe included with the car

The rust damage caused by the leaking screen - there is a repair section cut from a rust free car included , or you can buy a new repair section from MB for around £100

The view along the nearside : there are no dents/damage and the NSR wing has not rusted like the offside one .

Looking from the other end , apart from the small hole shown at the begining , the NSF wing is not showing rust .

Moving on to the interior - it is all reasonably tidy , seats , carpets and burr walnut trim are all good ; the electric seats all work as they should , electric windows all work , in fact apart from the air-con everything works .

There is some wear to the bolster of the drivers seat , but there is a new leather cover for this seat included with the car

Finally , the collection of parts which will be included

Radiator and cowl taken from a 420SE , was not leaking when in the car

Some general views of the boxes of parts

Now some shots of individual groups of parts

Headlamps , already shown

Distributor cap and rotor arm , which had not been long on the 420SE when I dismantled it

New old stock ATE front power discs ( grooved ) , standard rear discs and pads . The discs are covered in surface rust due to storage , but have never been used and would clean up with a light sanding .

Box containing set of front and rear lights , headlamps with HWW , rear lights complete , set of door mirrors in good order

Spare ribs to replace damaged ones on grille

Several instrument clusters

Duovalves , water circulation pumps

Distributor , ignition coil , startup resistor , indicator stalk with cruise control stalk

Ignition module from 420SE ( very expensive item - was working before taken off car )

Cruise control amplifiers

ABS control units

Lots and lots of switches and relays , too many to list

Spare wood trim , mixture of walnut and zebrano from different cars

Seat heater switch panels

Window regulators , front left and right

Washer bottle with pumps

Cruise control throttle actuator

A/C compressor

PAS pump

Water pump

Alternator

Fans

Throttle body / fuel distributor

ABS unit

W126/W123 seat base with good springs ( from passenger side )

Spare set of bumpers with good chrome

[URL=http://s12.photobucket.com/user/Pontoneer/media/92IMG_5057_zps50a98c75.jpg.html]

The buyer can have a choice of either one of these LPG tanks which fit in the spare wheel well

Two good spare 15 hole alloy wheels , tyres on them are no good though , plus two damaged wheels if wanted for scrap

LPG kit , taken from 420SEL , installation manual included

Components to retrofit rear self levelling suspension

Sunroof drive cable guide ( two inner cables included )

Amazingly , that lot fits in the boot !

Factory workshop manuals for the W126 series ( three large volumes )

LPG kit , taken from 420SEL , installation manual included

Components to retrofit rear self levelling suspension

Sunroof drive cable guide ( two inner cables included )

Amazingly , that lot fits in the boot !

Factory workshop manuals for the W126 series ( three large volumes )

The stainless exhaust system has lost its shine but is still completely sound

Finally ( I think ) here are the two new wings , seat covers , boot trim

Both wings are NSF , one is genuine MB and the other is pattern

As for provenance , the sticker in the back window says it all

It just doesn't get much better than that , does it ?

Just a 'bump' to bring this ad back up the list .

I never chased it after posting because I've been in two minds re keeping the car and restoring , or selling it on as a project , complete with all the parts .

As there hasn't been any interest in it as a job lot , I think I'll make a start by offering the loose parts .

I am happy to post smaller items , but larger things like the bumpers or the LPG kit with gas tanks would either have to be collected , or I would be willing to put them in my trailer and drive so far to meet , for the cost of my fuel used in doing so .

Anyone interested in any items please PM me for prices . I am not looking to make a killing on this stuff - just to clear my feet , and some space !

The car , without the pile of spare parts , would be available at a lower price - say £500 and any odd parts can be included by negotiation . On starting the car more regularly back in the summer , the problem with the starter motor cleared , so it was just arising from lack of use .

Oh , just to add , I found another set of boot carpets which had been dry stored in my attic , best not tell SWMBO !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom