w126 560 sec timing chain replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arfan786

Car
mercedes benz 560 sec
hi

just wanted to know when is best to replace the timing chain a 560 sec has 124k on the clock.

I have had the car fully serviced a few weeks ago, but was wondering whether i should have timing chain replaced now or not? what are the signs to look out for which suggest the timing chain needs replacing soon?

Also how much will i be looking at in parts and labour for replacing timing chain and any recommendations amongst the midland traders? please quote me with prices

thanks

If the chain needs changing you will normally hear a rattle from the front of the engine on start up.

There is no set change interval otherwise.

i will have a listen to that on start i dont think there is a rattle at all. so am i best leaving it till i here the rattle sound?:dk:

take off the timing covers and have a look at the condition of the plastic guide rails. You can also measure the chain stretch by noting how far off the timing marks are on each of the cam sprockets. Ive done 2 in the last few years (on different cars) its relativly simple to wind the new one on.

I wouldn't leave it til the rattle. It can happen any time, mainly because of the plastic chain guides. My spares car had no rattle, it just failed silently one day when I was trying to start it.

Mercedes for the guide rails, very reasonably priced, not sure about the chain, i got mine from Euromerc and another from Ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom