W126 560SEL full hydraulic suspension problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davrianman

Car
Mercedes 560SEL
Hi all,
After owning a 560sel whilst working in Canada, I have finally managed to buy another here in the UK. I loved my first car so much, I just had to have another.

So... After looking for ages I have finally bought a 560sel 1989. It's the 300bhp version with a full front and rear adjustable hydraulic system. There are a couple of leaks around the hydraulic manifold which I am in the process of fixing. The rear nitrogen spheres are shot as the back end is rock solid and bounces all over the road.

I have ordered new rear accumulator spheres, but I believe there are another 3 front ones.

Questions:
How can I check if the front spheres are ok?
Do they differ from the rears in terms of fit and charge pressures?
Where can I buy them (other than MB at silly prices)
Is this the same system as a 6:9?

I'm really finding it difficult to find any info on the front hydraulic system. Was this a special option??

Any help appreciated!
Cheers! Mart

Thanks for the reply. So that must be the button with the strange shock symbol on it? I also have a lever that looks like a big old fashion choke control. I know it's the height adjust, but how does it work? It controls a silver quadrant on top of the manifold on the front. Is this a pressure adjuster for the system? I want to fully restore, but it's hard to find any info. System is not working correctly and I have a red warning light for the suspension occasionally.
Thanks for the links. I'll have a look through.
Mart

Great. Thanks for the links. Lots of great info on there thank you. I believe now that I need to replace all my Accumulator Spheres. I've ordered 2 for the rear, but I'm not sure what the fronts are? Does anyone have a part number as I believe there are different charge pressures?? It looks like the 126 system I have is much more advanced than the 6:9 system as it has adjustable stiffness and also lowers at motorway speeds. Cool! Just need to get it working properly now! :)
Any info much appreciated. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom