W126 - Advice please on 560SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NewMB

Car
2012 535D F11 Sport (Touring)
Some members on here might remember that I was very active on here while driving MB's (C320 Cdi & E55). Having then returned to Volvo and to "another" german make starting with a B :eek: I now feel this urge to come back to MB :)

But this time, I am going to go for something a bit different!

The short story is...my father had a new W126 560SEC in 1987 and I personally loved that car (light grey metallic with grey leather - gorgeous) and was very dissapointed when he changed it to another S class and to top it off - a saloon!

Anyway, I would like to find myself a W126 560SEC and to keep it. So where's the best place to start asking for advice - well, on here obviously!

As I am located in Germany nowadays, finding one here should be easier than in the UK as there are lots of them around (incl the rare 6.0 litre version tuned by AMG or even rarer - the convertible!).

My guess would be that the later MY, the better.... perhaps this is wrong?!

So I would be very happy and greatful for any advice I can get as to what to watch our for etc.

Thanks.

Go for a late model, the post 85 cars are massively improved in my opinion and 560's were only available post 85.

Common weakness is the panel under the rear screen, these rot and let water in, so check these.
Engines and gearboxes are as solid as you would expect really.
Check for smooth running when hot and cold, smooth idle. Any blue smoke when pulling away from a junction indicates time for valve stem oil seals to be changed... not a 5 minute job!

Electrically they are pretty good, if A/C is working at this age thats a bonus.
I have had to spend over £500-700 on each of my SEC's to get the A/C systems in order.
Check seat belt presenters, sunroof etc all work.

Apart from that, usual rules apply, look for an unmolested example, there is nothing that I have ever driven that comes close to the feeling a properly looked after 560 SEC gives.

Raw power, comfort and you actually feel like you are driving it, not like its driving you.

I don't know alot about them but love the SECs and SELs from this era myself, good luck with the search and put some pics up if and when you get one!.

The main thing is to get one with sound bodywork , most other things are relatively easy to sort out .

There's a good buyer's guide over on the Greman S Klasse Club website - worth joining since you are in Germany - might even help you find the car you are looking for .

Mercedes-Benz S-Klasse Club e.V.

Good luck !

Go for a late model, the post 85 cars are massively improved in my opinion and 560's were only available post 85.

Common weakness is the panel under the rear screen, these rot and let water in, so check these.
Engines and gearboxes are as solid as you would expect really.
Check for smooth running when hot and cold, smooth idle. Any blue smoke when pulling away from a junction indicates time for valve stem oil seals to be changed... not a 5 minute job!

Electrically they are pretty good, if A/C is working at this age thats a bonus.
I have had to spend over £500-700 on each of my SEC's to get the A/C systems in order.
Check seat belt presenters, sunroof etc all work.

Apart from that, usual rules apply, look for an unmolested example, there is nothing that I have ever driven that comes close to the feeling a properly looked after 560 SEC gives.

Raw power, comfort and you actually feel like you are driving it, not like its driving you.

Fantastic. Thank You very much!!

I don't know alot about them but love the SECs and SELs from this era myself, good luck with the search and put some pics up if and when you get one!.

Thanks and sure will.

The main thing is to get one with sound bodywork , most other things are relatively easy to sort out .

There's a good buyer's guide over on the Greman S Klasse Club website - worth joining since you are in Germany - might even help you find the car you are looking for .

Mercedes-Benz S-Klasse Club e.V.

Good luck !

Thank You very much for the link. Did not find this site when I did the usual google search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom