W126 Aerial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mblinko

Car
W212 E350 Estate
I have an SEC which does not have an external aerial and looks to have never had one fitted as there is no hole in the bodywork.

I'd like to fit one in the same place as they were when they came out of the factory. Does anyone know which wing they went on and exactly where ?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Cheers

Could it be that the previous owner had the whole patched? It might be worth getting an antenna that sits in the back window, a kind of stealth install.... Otherwise you'll be cutting holes in the bodywork.

Could it be that the previous owner had the whole patched? It might be worth getting an antenna that sits in the back window, a kind of stealth install.... Otherwise you'll be cutting holes in the bodywork.
Thanks, i've got one of those amplified window ones that looks like its got two lollipop sticks coming out, but the signal does not appear to be very good. Is there another sort then?

Standard fit was a Hirschmann eletric aerial on the nearside rear wing not far from the base of the rear screen.

These cars very often came with no radio equip't when new.

They were often fitted by dealers or aftermarket. The hole was cut in the nearside rear wing. If you want we could measure and post a pic?
That would be great if you don't mind.

Thanks a lot.

You're a star, thanks v. Much. I had a look on mine and the aerial cable and motor feeds are there as well. So, just need to cut the hole:eek:

Maybe the car had a new rear wing at some point in it's life?

I have to say I've never seen a car without an aerial.

Maybe the car had a new rear wing at some point in it's life?

I have to say I've never seen a car without an aerial.
I just had another look and the previous owner patched the factory hole.

Try to use the original hole. You will find that its exactly in correct position to accommodate the mast drive motor and control unit inside the inner body pressing.
The originals masts were made by Hirschman and may still be available from your MB dealer?

Personally, I think you'd be mad to start drilling hole in the wing to add an aerial.

If the car origainlly had an aerial mounted in the usual spot, I wouldn't mind betting the previous owener patched it due to rust. Quite a lot of older MBs tend to rust around the aerial mounting. Both W124s I've had have started to go around that spot eventually.

My W140 has the aerial mounted inside the rear bumper and the reception is fine.
If you can't get decent reception, maybe try adding a signal amplifier? surely it has to be better than drilling a hole in the wing?

If you want the car to look period correct, thats an entirely different matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom