W126 cover air entry removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Catman

Car
Mercedes E240
:confused:My windscreen wipers suddenly stopped mid-screen on Saturday. I carried on driving as I was almost home, although there was a distinct smell of burning via the air intake - so I presume that the windscreen wiper motor has burnt out (although fuse number 17 never blew). I printed off the diagrams for removal of the motor and linkage, in order to check them, but I am unable to proceed. At the top of the sheet (82-0680) it states "preliminary work: Cover air entry removed (83-0140)". I am unable to figure out how to remove this, and I can find nothing relating to this job or this number on the internet. Can anyone help me please?:(

If you mean the plastic mesh cover under the windscreen, it is just clipped on / push fit and can be lifted off once the wipers arms are unbolted / removed.

Thanks a lot Coalville126. I have just removed the wiper assembly and have found that one of the arms had jumped out as the nylon bush had completely worn out, otherwise the motor and linkage are OK. I will have to enquire wether I can get the bush/arm with bush seperately. Also I noticed that the rubber at the bottom of the windscreen should be replaced, I hope that I can get this OK. I note that you also have a 300SE, I do too, although it is a LHD.

If the bush is worn, I think the rest of the assembly isn't in too great shape. I would get a complete wiper assembly from a breakers or there is always ebay. At least you will then have a spare for any other parts you might require.

I don't think MB list that rubber seal any longer, at least the last time I enquired. Any auto trimmers should be able to supply you with something suitable and much cheaper too. It was no more than £10. It holds the mesh cover securely against the screen and directs water from the screen to the side drains.

I had no choice but to source a replacement as mine crumbled to bits after a new windscreen. As it looked fairly similar in profile to the 'furflex' type seals used in classic car interiors, I just had to find a trim edge seal that was weatherproof / rubber.

If you are stuck , I have the complete wiper assembly from the 420SE I broke . Was working fine before I dismantled the car and sitting in my shed since .

I'm in Ayrshire , where are you ?

Does £15 plus postage sound fair ?

I can post a couple of photos of it later .

Last edited:
If you are stuck , I have the complete wiper assembly from the 420SE I broke . Was working fine before I dismantled the car and sitting in my shed since .

I'm in Ayrshire , where are you ?

Does £15 plus postage sound fair ?

I can post a couple of photos of it later .
Pontneer: Several questions - is the assembly that you have RHD or LHD (the part number should tell me), and will it fit a W126 300SE? Your price sounds very fair, I am in Cambridgeshire. Alan

Hi Alan ,

The assembly came off a RHD 420SE which belonged to a friend and was in regular use until he started losing compression on one bank of cylinders ( probably head gasket ) .

He decided to scrap the car rather than pay for repairs , but allowed me to strip what I wanted off it first ; hence I have a shed full of parts :)

I will post a couple of pictures later tonight and will show any part numbers in them .

Ah - I just noticed that your car is LHD .

I'm not sure if the wipers were reversed on these cars for LHD ?

If the assembly is unsuitable , I could remove just the bushes and pop them in an envelope to you - you would be welcome to these if you think you can then repair your assembly ?

If you need a full LHD assembly , eBay.de is probably your best bet .

OK , here are some pics of what I have here - you can either have the whole thing , or I will remove some small parts if that is of help .

1IMG_3231.jpg

2IMG_3232.jpg

3IMG_3233.jpg

4IMG_3234.jpg

5IMG_3235.jpg

6IMG_3236.jpg

7IMG_3237.jpg

8IMG_3238.jpg

9IMG_3239.jpg

10IMG_3240.jpg

11IMG_3241.jpg

OK , here are some pics of what I have here - you can either have the whole thing , or I will remove some small parts if that is of help .

1IMG_3231.jpg

2IMG_3232.jpg

3IMG_3233.jpg

4IMG_3234.jpg

5IMG_3235.jpg

6IMG_3236.jpg

7IMG_3237.jpg

8IMG_3238.jpg

9IMG_3239.jpg

10IMG_3240.jpg

11IMG_3241.jpg
Derek: Thanks for the photographs. Although the wiper assembly you picture is for a RHD (part number 126 820 6042) and mine is for a LHD (part number 126 820 9342), the linkage looks remarkably similar. My motor faces the opposite way, that seems to be the main difference. I would not need the wiper blades or the motor, just the linkage. Picture 9 (from the top) shows the bushes - one of those is faulty, but I will probably need the entire arms. What I need are the breakdown pictures of both part numbers so that I can see what is common in the linkages. I rang my nearest main dealer yesterday and today to email me the pictures, but have been unable to get through to the parts dept. yet. If anyone in the club has these details I would be very grateful.

Alan , I have access to the MB EPC via the official club's portal , so I will take a look tonight .

If you can manage to get your post count up to 30 you can use the private messenger to send me your VIN number then I can look the parts up against it .

Last edited:
Alan , I have access to the MB EPC via the official club's portal , so I will take a look tonight .

If you can manage to get your post count up to 30 you can use the private messenger to send me your VIN number then I can look the parts up against it .
Derek: Thanks in advance for looking at the MB EPC on my behalf. I recently managed to get through to my local MB dealer parts dept., and was told that "company policy does not allow us to give out part numbers". I do not know if that is just a Cambridge policy or if it is MB policy nationwide, either way it sounds a pretty stupid policy to me. I do not know how I am going to increase my posts to 30, as I cannot think of any other problems at the moment. Alan

Alan , it is something that a lot of dealers do .

You can get access to EPC as part of membership of the official owners club

www.mercedes-benzclub.co.uk

Quite a few of us on here are members and there are already threads discussing the merits on this forum ; it does cost circa £30 per annum but you get two excellent magazines and a lot of other benefits .

Re your post count - just join in a few other threads and add your comments ; introduce yourself in the new members section if you have not already done so and you will soon get the nine or so posts needed .

I'm reluctant to post my email on the public forum for fear of spam and don't suggest you posting your VIN where anybody can read it for security reasons .

Regards

Derek .

Duplicate post - thanks to wonders of the iPhone !

Alan , it is something that a lot of dealers do .

You can get access to EPC as part of membership of the official owners club

www.mercedes-benzclub.co.uk

Quite a few of us on here are members and there are already threads discussing the merits on this forum ; it does cost circa £30 per annum but you get two excellent magazines and a lot of other benefits .

Re the above - sorry , I mistyped the address on my phone earlier ; the correct address is

The Mercedes-Benz Club

Need this

ok , here are some pics of what i have here - you can either have the whole thing , or i will remove some small parts if that is of help .

1img_3231.jpg

2img_3232.jpg

3img_3233.jpg

4img_3234.jpg

5img_3235.jpg

6img_3236.jpg

7img_3237.jpg

8img_3238.jpg

9img_3239.jpg

10img_3240.jpg

11img_3241.jpg

do you still have this for sale please ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom