W126 hesitation on acceleration - was it just dirty French fuel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

br1anstorm

Car
1990 Mercedes Benz 560 SEC
I have just been on a 3 week trip in France in my 1990 W126 560SEC, and noticed a curious problem which oddly, seems to have almost disappeared since I got back. I've scanned the forum for clues, but don't quite know where to start with troubleshooting.

The symptoms were:

a) a slight 'stuttering' or hesitation when cruising steadily on very light throttle at around 3000 revs/130kph on the autoroutes. Sometimes this was quite obvious - almost like driveline shunt - and at other times barely noticeable;

b)with cruise control set at 110 or 130 kph, a sort of on-off 'surging', again like driveline shunt, as if the cruise control couldn't quite get the fuel/air setting right and was constantly but slightly jerkily correcting itself;

c) on upchanges through the auto transmission on light (gradual) acceleration, a similar sort of hesitation at each change point, as if the 'box couldn't quite decide whether to shift to the next gear or not. On heavier-footed acceleration, no such problem, just normal smooth upshifts. Made no difference whether transmission was set on 'S' or 'E'.

Now here's the puzzling aspects. First, these problems only seemed to show up once the car had been running for a while. For the first 10-15 mins after start-up, all seemed normal. Is this a clue? Second, the problems only seemed to be evident while we were in France (!). Back in UK, before and after the trip, symptoms (a) and (b), at least, have barely been noticeable.

I'm not sure if the three symptoms all have the same cause, or if they are unrelated. My initial instincts were to suspect either dirty fuel (causing a misfire or affecting the injectors) or that the engine didn't like 'normal' French (95 octane) supermarket petrol. I tipped in a dose of injector cleaner, and I took to filling up with 'super' (98 octane). Sometimes I got the impression that this seemed to improve matters, but not always...

I was sufficiently bothered to get a French MB dealer to do some brief basic diagnostics: in the time they had, they only checked the ignition system, and said all was fine (so I assume no misfiring - plugs, dist cap and rotor OK, and timing all right?).

Now I'm back in UK, and in the last week or two I've used the car much less - and no long motorway trips. I have continued to fill with 'super' (Shell rather than supermarkets) though I had previously always used 'normal' petrol. On the trip up from Dover I had a separate and totally weird one-off problem with the climate control blowing hot and the recirc switch flashing (on which I've posted a separate query); but this seemed to reset itself the next day, and surely can't be related, unless there really are electrical gremlins at work under the bonnet!

I'd still like to pin down what is - or was - wrong, but need advice on what to check and where to look. Do the symptoms suggest some sort of electrical/ignition issue, or is a fuel or injection problem? Or something else entirely? It's tempting to blame dodgy French petrol, but over the course of three weeks and 6000km I filled up in places all over the country, so that seems unlikely ...

Any thoughts would be welcome.

br1anstorm

I would go with the dirty fuel suggestion.

May be worth getting the fuel filter cleaned or changed anyway, even though it is seems OK now.

Just thought I'd revive this topic. Interestingly, I had also posted the details of this problem on one of the US
MB forums. I didn't get any suggested explanations or solutions, but I got two other responses from W126 owners who said they had the same problem, and were equally mystified.

So the puzzle remains. Any other guesses as to the cause, or the solution, would still be welcome...

br1anstorm

Thanks Malcolm... I haven't tried this yet, but at least it gives me something to experiment with next weekend!

br1anstorm

Hmmm ... car currently has a near-full tank. Methinks a long test drive before tampering with the fuel system. Just as a matter of interest, which should I check first - filter (presumably can't be tested, just replaced?) or pumps?

br1anstorm

Hmmm ... car currently has a near-full tank. Methinks a long test drive before tampering with the fuel system. Just as a matter of interest, which should I check first - filter (presumably can't be tested, just replaced?) or pumps?

br1anstorm

The filter always gets over looked and forgotten, the normal life is 30k I believe,, its possible its never been changed and the visual condition should indicate that you can see it behind the plastic mud cover

What grade fuel were you using in France compared to now in the uk?

Its possible that it was of a lesser grade than our normal 95RON (or higher) hence noticing the changes.

What grade fuel were you using in France compared to now in the uk?

Its possible that it was of a lesser grade than our normal 95RON (or higher) hence noticing the changes.

A lower grade of fuel causes pinking, (that's the tinkling sound when accelerating) and would not cause hesitation or missing , as it only cause or poor detonation.

Malcolm - I'd guess filter hasn't been changed. I'm 2nd owner, so don't have all bills from new. Previous owner had it serviced on schedule, but didn't use it heavily (only around 50,000 KM in the 10 years or so before I bought it ). And I certainly haven't changed the filter in the past 4 years.

Sp!ke - when the problems appeared in France, I changed from filling with regular (95) to super (98). Not sure it made much difference... Over here I've tried regular and Shell V-power. Again, no obvious difference, and as it usually runs all right on UK 95, that's what I normally use (at present prices and consumption, every little helps!).

br1anstorm

Malcolm - I'd guess filter hasn't been changed. I'm 2nd owner, so don't have all bills from new. Previous owner had it serviced on schedule, but didn't use it heavily (only around 50,000 KM in the 10 years or so before I bought it ). And I certainly haven't changed the filter in the past 4 years.

Sp!ke - when the problems appeared in France, I changed from filling with regular (95) to super (98). Not sure it made much difference... Over here I've tried regular and Shell V-power. Again, no obvious difference, and as it usually runs all right on UK 95, that's what I normally use (at present prices and consumption, every little helps!).

br1anstorm

All MBs will run on a lower grade than the specified fuel just avoid hard acceleration, that's all,,it tells you this in all of your handbooks

Yup, I knew this. The problem I had in France didn't seem to be 'pinking' (which usually shows up best under heavy load/acceleration). But trying out super/V-power was one early and easy way of trying to pin down (or rule out) what seemed to be a fuel-related problem.

So it's not an octane issue. Brings us back to filter or pumps as something worth checking...

br1anstorm

Yup, I knew this. The problem I had in France didn't seem to be 'pinking' (which usually shows up best under heavy load/acceleration). But trying out super/V-power was one early and easy way of trying to pin down (or rule out) what seemed to be a fuel-related problem.

So it's not an octane issue. Brings us back to filter or pumps as something worth checking...

br1anstorm

Its well known that V power has some good cleaning agents and is good for fixing faulty floats etc, it does fit in with dirty something or other

Was it particularly hot where you were in France (the South?) in comparison to the UK. The V8 cooling on these cars is said to be marginal with high under-bonnet temperatures. Was the engine temperature gauge indicating hotter than usual??? Could just be dirty fuel as suggested-water possibly- which has taken some time to clear the system despite fresh fuel.

Graeme - Slightly to our disappointment, it was little hotter on this particular trip to France than it had been in UK. Even down in the south (Carcassonne - Montpellier) it was cloudy and cool (ish). So I don't think heat was the problem, and certainly the engine temp was showing no higher than usual.

Added to which, the hesitation tended to be most noticeable when cruising on light throttle at the legal limit on the autoroutes - when there's plenty of ram airflow to keep the underbonnet area reasonably cool.

So some kind of fuel problem (dirt, water, pump malfunction?) still looks like front runner... The tricky thing is that I can't seem to replicate the problem now we're back home, yet I can't be confident it's gone away. Intermittent problems are always the worst.

br1anstorm

Graeme - Slightly to our disappointment, it was little hotter on this particular trip to France than it had been in UK. Even down in the south (Carcassonne - Montpellier) it was cloudy and cool (ish). So I don't think heat was the problem, and certainly the engine temp was showing no higher than usual.

Added to which, the hesitation tended to be most noticeable when cruising on light throttle at the legal limit on the autoroutes - when there's plenty of ram airflow to keep the underbonnet area reasonably cool.

So some kind of fuel problem (dirt, water, pump malfunction?) still looks like front runner... The tricky thing is that I can't seem to replicate the problem now we're back home, yet I can't be confident it's gone away. Intermittent problems are always the worst.

br1anstorm

Guess its a waiting game then? Cheer up it might never recur. ;)

560 SEC - jerkiness and hesitation on light throttle

I'm resurrecting this thread. Why? Well, I took my 560 SEC off the road for the winter, and have just got it out, tested and taxed again.

And dang me, that jerkiness/hesitation is still there. I haven't tried out long-distance cruising yet. But on very light throttle, there's definitely a hesitation and jerkiness most obviously at the speed and revs just before the auto upshift from the 2nd to 3rd ratio (ie around 1800 rpm, 30 kph). Also occurs at higher revs and speeds when on very gentle throttle.

It's the basic diagnostic that puzzles me. Is this the engine running roughly or misfiring (why?); or is it something to do with whatever controls the transmission upshifts? Sometimes it feels a bit like driveline shunt.

It's not an easy problem to demonstrate or explain to a workshop or dealer, because it's almost like an intermittent fault. On heavy-footed driving it doesn't show up. So I don't even know what to ask a workshop to check and test...

Any thoughts or clues, anyone?

Wonder if you are getting the condensation problem in the distributor. Happens a lot on cars not used a lot. Water in the base of the distributer gets vapourised as the engine warms up causing shorts inside the distributer cap? If the problem is more deep seated getting the car onto an old fashioned oscilloscope based engine analyser [in the right hands] may help track this fault down.

Hi Brainstorm,

I've got something along the lines of what you are saying, basically when i'm taking up drive VERY gently i can feel the car stumble or stutter and its so slight usually only i can feel it (tried showing it to a mechanic with no avail).

But on saying this, i do have 2 error codes which remain on my car's ECU which are:

050 Self adaptation too lean
052 Lower partial self adaptation lean

My car runs absolutely fine, it doesn't nothing physically worrying... i might have to wait til this problem manifests itself into something alot more visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom