W126 Horn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

h17n dj

Car
W126 500SEL
Guys,

Anyone every upgraded the horn on their W126?

I do like the 600 Grosser horn but doubt im ever going to find one of those?

Thought I had posted this :/
Google stebel nautilus - a good loud horn and not too expensive.

That's the one, mate. Basically sounds like a cross between an air horn and a loud 'normal' horn.
You may need to fabricate a mounting but this should be very straightforward. I would also use the relay that comes with it.
As with all horns make sure that the 'trumpet' faces down slightly so that water doesn't collect.

You certainly won't be disappointed with the sound.

Awesome - I shall defo be looking at this. would I be ok for MoT purposes or do I need to install a switch to flick it over? I've seen the original switches that go in the centre console of the W126 and dam they are rare and pricey :(.

Haha thanks for the tip! I'm sure I can mount it somewhere on the original brackets? Worst case, It'll be in the body shop in a few weeks anyway so they can make something up surely.

It will be absolutely fine for the MOT - I would add the bracket and connect into the existing wiring to allow it to revert to original as easily as possible. :thumb::thumb:

Gents,
After much consideration the horn above doesn’t sound deep enough...! Want something as close to the grosser as possible. Any ideas??

I installed these PIAA Superior Bass Horns on my W211 and am very happy with their authoritative tone.

If you search for them on youtube you can find vids demonstrating the sound.

piaa-automotive-superior-bass-horn-330-400hz-astound-1702-20-Astound@7.jpg

I drive a 60's Bentley with a truly awesome pair of horns. They are Lucas Windtones I think.

It inspired me to buy a set of four Cadillac horns called freight train horns for the SE - they are tuned to different notes and are very nice. I needed to rig up two relays to power them. Very good dignified noise. I think they came from an Eldorado or something but I got them from the US on ebay.

I drive a 60's Bentley with a truly awesome pair of horns. They are Lucas Windtones I think.

It inspired me to buy a set of four Cadillac horns called freight train horns for the SE - they are tuned to different notes and are very nice. I needed to rig up two relays to power them. Very good dignified noise. I think they came from an Eldorado or something but I got them from the US on ebay.
Cheers Ian! So I guess I just search for Eldorado Horns?

P.S, do you have a sound clip you could send me please?

Ok it was too long ago to be in my history but I suspect this is the same seller. If so, great seller and nice horns.

CADILLAC DEVILLE, ELDORADO 4 NOTE HORN SETS A,C,D,F HORNS - LOUD TRAIN SOUND!!!! | eBay

The only thing is I had to make up a small harness that included two relays in it, or they will either melt your wiring or sound feeble. Which was a brain ache for me but I had advice from helpful forum people. So if thats not your bag you might want to consider something easier.
I was able to squish them in roughly where the standard horns went but they take up a lot more space.

Thanks Ian, that's really appreciated! My mate is going to the US in December so may get him to bring them back for me to save that nearly £70 shipping!!!

My local garage would sort that wiring out for sure...! I watched something on youtube and they sound amazing!

Right, with regards to the above, I have decided I'm going to go the air horn route. I have got the original switch to flick it over now too...

any recommendations on air horns that sound as close as the Grosser as possible? so deep sounding I guess?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom