W126 ICE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

h17n dj

Car
W126 500SEL
All,

I'm looking to upgrade my head unit (and eventually all the speakers) in my 1991 500SEL as they are very dated!

found this head unit as it has apple car play and DAB... what does the panel think?. don't really want double DIN...
Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security

Any other suggestions? and suggestions for speakers?

Thanks.

I put something very similar from Pioneer into mine 4 years ago, tbh it doesn't really sit well with the car but I'm don't think anything with a screen does in an almost 30 year old cockpit.
From a functionality perspective everything is excellent.

Thank you for the above replies. I realise it doesn't sit nicely. But for functionality and usage reasons I have decided to go with the above.

could anybody advise on speaker upgrades please?

Thanks.

I know I'm very late in the day here but I've owned 6 w126 models and I've changed the ICE in all of them!
I can't remember the exact model numbers of what I paid for but for the headunits I've had Kenwood, Pioneer, Nakamichi & Alpine.
The Nak was easily the best.
Any competent ICE outfit should be able to recommend decent speakers to fit inside the front dash and the rear parcel shelf.
As for amps again I've used Pioneer & Alpine mainly and they've both done a great job.
Once you've installed all the ICE you want the sound will leave the factory set up for dead.
As for the original Blaupunkts and Beckers apart form originality I don't know what people ever saw in them.
IMHO they're rubbish compared to what the Japanese manufacture.
Anyway you can always keep them to re-install when you sell your car.
You've probably done the job now but enjoy your w126, I miss all of mine.

I know I'm very late in the day here but I've owned 6 w126 models and I've changed the ICE in all of them!
I can't remember the exact model numbers of what I paid for but for the headunits I've had Kenwood, Pioneer, Nakamichi & Alpine.
The Nak was easily the best.
Any competent ICE outfit should be able to recommend decent speakers to fit inside the front dash and the rear parcel shelf.
As for amps again I've used Pioneer & Alpine mainly and they've both done a great job.
Once you've installed all the ICE you want the sound will leave the factory set up for dead.
As for the original Blaupunkts and Beckers apart form originality I don't know what people ever saw in them.
IMHO they're rubbish compared to what the Japanese manufacture.
Anyway you can always keep them to re-install when you sell your car.
You've probably done the job now but enjoy your w126, I miss all of mine.

Thanks so much for your reply - it is appreciated. I've purchased what I want for now to just do a small upgrade... headunit is going to be a keeper and ive bought this...
Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security
speaker wise ive ordered these...
W126 Speakers | The SL Shop

im hoping this set up will be better than the factory set in there right now! just cant wait until the engine and box go in this week so I can driver here in a couple of weeks again after her resto.

Thanks... I actually ordered them from eBay for similar prices but just put the link in as they were both there together, more for the reference as so what they were to be honest.

Hoping they will be reasonable sound quality wise....

Ah OK, I was going to recommend some better speakers at the same price as the SL Shop if that was your budget.

As the W126 interior is such a large space it is worth considering an under seat sub as those 10cm and 13cm speakers are not going to fill the space bass-wise.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/sub...ts-wx130ea-active-space-saving-subwoofer-160w

They make a massive difference, allowing the smaller speakers to do the mid-high range and are easy to tuck away under the seat

Ah OK, I was going to recommend some better speakers at the same price as the SL Shop if that was your budget.

As the W126 interior is such a large space it is worth considering an under seat sub as those 10cm and 13cm speakers are not going to fill the space bass-wise.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/sub...ts-wx130ea-active-space-saving-subwoofer-160w

They make a massive difference, allowing the smaller speakers to do the mid-high range and are easy to tuck away under the seat

Well thats the kind of advice I was looking for. then saw SL shop had those drop in ones so i know i wont have to make any modifications to maintain originality then found them cheaper so bought them. Alpine are pretty good as a brand, I just hope they are ample enough for the tank of a car. Thanks for that sub suggestion - I actually have a 12" 1600W JBL sub and amp to suit that I put in there prior to my restoration. So I will just stick with that for now.

Might sound like a silly question, does anybody have any tips on install? seems im stuggling to remove the rear speakers.

Also, do the wires have to be soldered in? cant seem to see connectors on the old fronts which I could just about remove.....

Thanks

just thought I'd update this thread...
Head unit in, wired up DAB, Reversing camera, Bluetooth and USB port for Apply play.

Just got to wire up the speakers.

How's progress with the ICE and your w126 in general?

all in... just needs a bit of bass now ideally.
The car is back on the road (600 miles completed in 3 weeks) and she seems to be running sweet. few little niggles that need sorting but expected that from a full overhaul really.

With a boot as big as the w126 bass should never be a problem. You can use the two cutouts at the sides of the boot if you don't want to dump a big sub at the back of the boot. I've used both methods down the years and the results were sensational even if I do say so myself!!
In an already quiet car a nice ICE installation will mean you will hear virtually no engine, wind or tyre noise whatsoever. What are you waiting for?!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom