w126: steering wheel options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john rh

Hi

I would like to fit a slightly smaller steering wheel to my w126, but still keep it looking original. I think someone told me that a w124 wheel would fit, and is smaller. Is this correct?

And/or are there other options I should consider?

Thanks

John

Yes,the 124 ones fit,but you`ll need the airbag to if there`s one

What's the diameter of the stnadard W126 wheel?

My wheel is 415mm. I'd like something a bit smaller. I have tested it today and a 30mm smaller wheel would still allow me to see the top of the speedometer.

John

I don't think W124 ones (or 190e) ones are actually smaller as standard. I'm going from memory here and stand to be corrected but I think even the Momo made AMG ones are only a little smaller at 390mm and my Italvolanti made AMG one is (I think) around 400mm. Sportline wheels are smaller than standard but again I think they are around 390 - 400.

As long as you don't want it in part wood or with AMG on it these steering wheels can be had pretty cheaply. But if you want smaller than this you'll have to start looking 'off piste' :eek:

Just measured my Lorinser wheel, which feels a fair amount smaller, and changed the feel of the car quite a lot. Its 400mm. Didnt realise such a small change would make such a difference.
Something else to consider which i heard the other day- it had never occurred to me despite doing umpteen regular long trips Berkshire to Devon. The large wheel enables you to rest your arm on the door armrest when on the motorway etc. How thoughtful. I cant quite do this now with my Lorinser wheel. Might be worth considering in your search.

Hi,
Adjust the column so you can see the speedo? I am sure MB researches the ideal size wheel for their cars. Then shuffle the seat to suit comfort. A big wheel I always find is somehow more suited to the cars and as stated helps to rest the elbow on the door. I remember the good old mini days when you fitted one like a saucer diameter and the car twitched and responded to a turn with a half inch movement almost! Of course no power steering so a bug*er to park.
Don

My wheel just makes the car feel more cumbersome than it really is on twisty roads. Not so bothered about the armrest because I tend to drive with hands at 'ten to two' anyway.

It seems that the earlier w124 300E 24v and sportsline had a 390mm wheel with the same design. I'll try to get one of those at a sensible price, to see how it feels.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom