W126 V8 aircon, cooling fans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Llewelyn

Car
S210 320CDi D6
On Sunday, it was nastily warm and so I was using the aircon. On arriving in town and parking up in the supermarket, noticed the temp gauge sitting higher than normal, not up to the red, but about 20° warmer than normal.

investigation under the bonnet showed neither of the electric fans doing owt. They're both free to spin (not seized) so any hint where to look for the thermo switch which, I would have thought, should have cut them in at that temperature?

They don't cut in until quite scary hot. Think it's about 110celcius or something similar.
Unless the aircon pressure reaches a certain threshold and they'll trigger for that.

Hmmm maybe just wasn't hot enough then. It normally runs half way up the gauge, was up to about 3/4 - but that likely isn't up to 110°C, I would reckon that's almost up to the red.

Yeah no idea why they have it set so high. I only discovered my fan wasn't working when it went into the red one day in traffic. New radiator was needed. Found the fan was seized, it did free up fine but I had to fit a manual switch in the glove box cos couldn't get it to trigger itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom