W126

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

h17n dj

Car
W126 500SEL
Hi all, going to look at a 1990 "H" reg 500SEL.... its on 144 K loks good iun pics going to see it tomorrow.... anything apart from rust and check that the electrics work that i should look out for? its got a full service history and will come with 1 years MOT and no tax hes looking for £2,495.... its a grey ish colour with i think cream interior... Thanks in advance

You know about the rust in the boot at the bottom of the window, you can put your finger through the gaps under the parcel shelf to feel for rust.

Also that it's not to smokey when to pull away.

As it's a very late one it may have the electric heated rear seats, the interior looks great with that soft leather.

Last edited:
You know about the rust in the boot at the bottom of the window, you can put your finger through the gaps under the parcel shelf to feel for rust.

Also that it's not to smokey when to pull away.

As it's a very late one it may have the electric heated rear seats, the interior looks great with that soft leather.
thanks buddy... i didnt know about the rust in the boot but will look out for that thanks :)
will also check for smoke and the electric rear seats in the back as the pic wasnt clear enough really! the car does seem nice tho im really excited

looking at the pics, for some reason it doest seem to have the rear heated and electric seats... the pic is distant and slightly pixelated so hard to see :(

Love to see the pics. They dont all have the rear seat options, depends how it was bought. It could have the standard rear bench, heated rear bench, heated/electric recline rear bench, or in rare cases individual reclining rear seats. (Uber posh, lol..)

Love to see the pics. They dont all have the rear seat options, depends how it was bought. It could have the standard rear bench, heated rear bench, heated/electric recline rear bench, or in rare cases individual reclining rear seats. (Uber posh, lol..)
the reason why im going to see it is mainly because it is a "H" reg so i can put my private plate on it! so if if doesnt have any of the options then oh well.... it is the long wheel base so maybe options can be fitted at a later date! i'll post some pics of it soon

heres some pics of it

Attachments

• 2681993-2.jpg
    2681993-2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 2681993-5.jpg
    2681993-5.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 86
  • 2681993-7.jpg
    2681993-7.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 83
had to do this one separately as it wouldnt let me upload them all due to file size

Attachments

• 2681993-9.jpg
    2681993-9.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 82
Looks sweet. Definitely doesnt have electric reclining rear seats, or heated rear seats either. Does look to have heated and electric front seats though.
Yeah options are actually very easy to retro-fit if you can find bits in matching colour/suitable condition etc.
These were built with all separate looms so it can all be plugged in if needed. I've put in stuff like the electric rear blind and electric rear seats etc to my shorter wheelbase so its easily possible. Also i put in the electric heated front seats as mine were manual. Took a bit of time and patience but in all was quite enjoyable.

The leather looks soft - check the wear on the drivers bolster where the driver slides in and out. Not shown in pic.
The wood looks good, clear, good colour and not cracked?

Rust-wise, that potential water-trap below the rear window has been mentioned. Get a torch and have a good look up through the circles towards the window but from inside the boot.

Check the boot wells for dampness.

Wheel arches on the body side with your fingers, hopefully fairly smooth. And the wheel wells themselves, no holes or scabs.

Front wings, we've all seen what can happen..

All that stuff can be fixed, but it could make a difference to the price.

The air con should work, the gearbox can start to slip between gears, make sure you listen and feel it carefully going through the gears at different speeds.
It should start up easily.

Shouldnt be any clonks from the suspension when pulling away or braking, front or rear.

Oil pressure can be at 1 or even less at idle but needs to raise as soon as you rev. Idle should be about 650 rpm, and the economy gauge should be pegged to the left at idle.

They are lovely cars when they are healthy, i'm sure you'll be able to tell if its good with a drive. Looks good, might it have been garaged? If so all the better.

Good luck :)

Looks sweet. Definitely doesnt have electric reclining rear seats, or heated rear seats either. Does look to have heated and electric front seats though.
Yeah options are actually very easy to retro-fit if you can find bits in matching colour/suitable condition etc.
These were built with all separate looms so it can all be plugged in if needed. I've put in stuff like the electric rear blind and electric rear seats etc to my shorter wheelbase so its easily possible. Also i put in the electric heated front seats as mine were manual. Took a bit of time and patience but in all was quite enjoyable.

The leather looks soft - check the wear on the drivers bolster where the driver slides in and out. Not shown in pic.
The wood looks good, clear, good colour and not cracked?

Rust-wise, that potential water-trap below the rear window has been mentioned. Get a torch and have a good look up through the circles towards the window but from inside the boot.

Check the boot wells for dampness.

Wheel arches on the body side with your fingers, hopefully fairly smooth. And the wheel wells themselves, no holes or scabs.

Front wings, we've all seen what can happen..

All that stuff can be fixed, but it could make a difference to the price.

The air con should work, the gearbox can start to slip between gears, make sure you listen and feel it carefully going through the gears at different speeds.
It should start up easily.

Shouldnt be any clonks from the suspension when pulling away or braking, front or rear.

Oil pressure can be at 1 or even less at idle but needs to raise as soon as you rev. Idle should be about 650 rpm, and the economy gauge should be pegged to the left at idle.

They are lovely cars when they are healthy, i'm sure you'll be able to tell if its good with a drive. Looks good, might it have been garaged? If so all the better.

Good luck :)
that is very very helpful mate! thanks very much i will be sure to let you know what happpens tomorrow and if any help needed in the future i shall b contacting ya haha! thank you very much again mate :thumb::thumb::thumb:

It's done well to still have the rear footrests, they are not much help but do look so good!!
Also colour wise it's a great combination and looks very "young"

Im sure electric rear seats were standard on SEL... its hard to tell but in the pic, it doesnt look like an SEL, looks an SE to me.

Im sure electric rear seats were standard on SEL... its hard to tell but in the pic, it doesnt look like an SEL, looks an SE to me.
well the add and the badging suggests that it is the SEL... but they could be wrong.... How would i be able to tell if it was the SE or SEL???

can you send me the reg or vin and ill check for sure... photos can be deceptive but the rear legroom definately looks that of an SE.

can you send me the reg or vin and ill check for sure... photos can be deceptive but the rear legroom definately looks that of an SE.
well the reg on it when the pics were taken seems tol be a private plate and is now on a different car as i found out when doing insurance quotes and i dont know the VIN :( sorry.... not keen on just the SE's

I'll second what Jay say's,I was told all the SEL's have elec heated rear seats

Yes that reg is a new Jag!

Well if you can get the current reg number I can check it for you.

If its an SE, the chassis will be WDB126036...., if its an SEL it will be WDB126037.....

well the reg on it when the pics were taken seems tol be a private plate and is now on a different car as i found out when doing insurance quotes and i dont know the VIN :( sorry.... not keen on just the SE's

The leg room looks right, and it's got the footrests (could be from another car), but a Jay said in the photo it doe look like a SE, the rear window does look a little square.

thanks guys thats helpful... will look out for that wheni go to see it later today! shame about the crap weather though!

i am now the new proud owner of the car :) ! it was the SEL as the paper work and the VIN coinfirmed! very tidy car... will take more pics when i pic the car up and that... will be sad to see my C200 go esp as its a "W" plate and only got 65K and full merc history etc :-( .........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom