W129 - Can't open Storage Compartment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBN

Car
W129 300SL
Hi

I can't open the small storage compartment in the centre of the dash on my 1990 300SL - I recall reading somewhere that this was likely to be a problem with the release cable mechanism and that to repair it, you need to remove the a/c vent and then relocate the cable.

Can anyone offer me advice?

The spectacle compartment does not use cables, it is locked and opened by the press button/key lock to the left. Are you sure that it is not locked.

You will have to take out the heater control unit below this compartment and withdraw the lock.

The big problem is that this compartment is held in and adjusted by two screws in the rear of the compartment, and if it will not open it makes it hard.

If it has always been like it it has been incorrectly replaced at some time.

With the heater part out you may be able to get your hand to the rear and move it to release the lid

If it is unlocked you can just pry the lid open - it's not uncommon for them to get stuck - and as Malcolm mentions the two screws are used to align the unit.

Here's a video for the removal process - it's all pretty straight-forward. You'll need to be careful getting the air-vent out as the spectacle case sits above it.

Last edited:
Thanks - that's brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom