W140 additional keys only from Mercedes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kyber

My Mercedes 1993 W140 LWB S500 came with only one key, in a broken case. Fortunately, the infrared works and I know I can replace the case.

Is my only option for additional keys to ask a Mercedes dealer and pay the extortionate prices?

Last time I checked the price of a replacement key for a late model W140 was just short of £200. I would budget for a similar amount.

It is a [broken] metal flip key with infra-red (single push button).

Great idea to have the cheap back up. Thanks.

The electronic infra-red (flip out) remote doesn’t just unlock the car, it also disables the immobiliser and when you unlock the car.

If you were to lose or damage the existing infra-red remote then you wouldn’t be able to start the car, you would be able to unlock the car with a metal key blade alright but you wouldn’t be able to start the car.

Dec

You could possibly swap the case over with a good case but as Dec says above there is a distinct possibility that you have a chip inside your original key, if this is not removed then you won,t be able to start your car if indeed you can even remove it as the ones I have seen our glued inside the fob case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom