W140 CL 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only a 420, but this might have been a great buy for £3600. I um'd, ah'd and bottled jobbed it.

Classic Mercedes CL/4.2 Coupe | eBay

Some seemingly nice saloon examples up for sale, but some equally batty prices to boot (no pun intended). Do love the W140 though in either form and will scratch that itch one day, has to be a V8 or V12 though with lots of options. Amazing machines and very good looking aesthetically, love the square/box design of the saloon, the coupe is a lamb dressed as mutton.

Last edited:
Awes
‘93 520i Auto, white. Loving it, nearly 5k I’ve put on it since middle of August, now my daily, 180 to insure for the year, cost me 2k. I’m 4th owner, now 70k miles, all original. Was going to spend 9k on a W140 before I got it, but the dealer had sold it. I’ll keep it until it dies and will maintain it as long as it costs reasonable money to do so, which I think it will.
Awesome mate I would love an e30 :cool:

Awes

Awesome mate I would love an e30 :cool:

Its an amazing car, silky smooth to drive, comfortable, has enough poke and is a machine basically. I took it around France, Belgium and Holland for a few k miles a few days after I bought it. The battery died, but that’s it. I’ve not driven it in 3 weeks recently, left in rain and cold, and yesterday it started like it was a new car. It needs some body work, air con leak fixed and electric windows in the rear don’t work fully and it needs a new music system and the cloth interior cleaned, but it’s mechanically mint and body wise, doesn’t need much to make it look mint. Again I love it. I’ve had an ‘84 635CSI (regret getting rid of that) and while I’m not a fan of modern BMWs, I do love their retro/80s/early 90s cars.

85 quid to fill gets me 600 miles easily. I drove it on the needle for a week doing about 60-80 miles just to see if it would conk out on me (can of petrol in the boot in case) and it felt like it had a good few more miles left in the tank.

For 2k, I got a bargain and it’s better than a lot of modern cars I’ve had or could have bought costing 2-3-4 times that. I get thumbs up from modern BMW drivers or flashed at from high performance young BMW drivers and I’ve been offered 800 quid just for the wheels alone. My fleet mechanic who give it the once over when I got it and said mechanically it’s 99% great, go and enjoy your Euro road trip, now wants to buy it, offering me 500 quid more than I paid.

This one is for keeps, a rare good all-round usable daily retro!

@Abb i missed one of these a CL420 with 95k full history and 2 owners was only £1700 :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom