W140 CL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see lots have been springing to help you ;),I would say you do need to get the ATF changed in the gearbox,good looking car
Thanks - brake fluid also?
(I have to say that Mercedes owners' manual and service booklet are Kafkaesque in their lack of clarity.....)

Mercedes have detailed tables on spring ratings for various individual models according to equipment fitted so theoretically the best- but as models age I suspect this gets more restricted to possibly 2-3 choices? It might help to check the existing springs for colour codes and spring pads for the number of pips which are indicators of their thickness.
springpads.jpg

Your choice may be limited by cost and availability whichever way you decide to go. In terms of quality I doubt there is much between them- Mercedes don't make springs so the MB ones may well be SACHS or LESJOFORS made for MB anyway.
Thanks - the problem is that I am convinced that the springs fitted are incorrect so looking at them will just compound the problem.

Good to know that the OEM items are likely to be no better than the SACHS or LESJOFORS models

Incidentally, front wings for these are ridiculously priced and difficult to find - it was more cost effective for me to get new ones fabricated.....

Yes the owners manual for the S is like war and peace but does not contain much help when things are going wrong

Next question - I need a new carcass for the driver's door mirror - is the basic structure or the mirror itself interchangeable with the saloon door mirror?

Do I need to look for a CL specific mirror as all I need is the basic structure - the shell is fine

Thanks

Next question - I need a new carcass for the driver's door mirror - is the basic structure or the mirror itself interchangeable with the saloon door mirror?

Do I need to look for a CL specific mirror as all I need is the basic structure - the shell is fine

Thanks
I got the springs replaced with Mercedes items but now the front of the car seems to sit too high ....

Altho your wheels/tyres may be the right size all round 255/45 on an 8.5J X18 WHEEL 5 hole style B if they are ORIGINALLY off a different model ?? the offset might be wrong should be ET47- SEE INSIDE OF WHEEL RIM and check the spare dimensions too
ps the correct part no for the wheel is B6 6 47 0083

pps
at that time there were two lengths of spring with the same rating red and blue --- each needed different spring pads to adjust the ride height
I now need to repair a tear in the bolster of the front deat but none of the upholsterers I have spoken to can get the correct leather - any recommnedations?

I now need to repair a tear in the bolster of the front deat but none of the upholsterers I have spoken to can get the correct leather - any recommnedations?
MERCEDES were often quite generous with their seat covering upolstery back then with quite a lot of unseen surplus material on flaps under and at the back of the seat covering- to ascertain this you would need to remove the seats/squabs [e.g. under the rear seat ] and have a look. If the tear is not to big there may be enough material surplus to remove and affect a repair in the visible part of the front seat----a good seat trimmer should be able to check this out

MERCEDES were often quite generous with their seat covering upolstery back then with quite a lot of unseen surplus material on flaps under and at the back of the seat covering- to ascertain this you would need to remove the seats/squabs [e.g. under the rear seat ] and have a look. If the tear is not to big there may be enough material surplus to remove and affect a repair in the visible part of the front seat----a good seat trimmer should be able to check this out
I should have been more accurate - the tear is as a result of wear to the bolster so it really needs quite a large repair. I went to Mark at MCP Restorations who provided me with some leather from an S class saloon to use (albeit would require dyeing) but the trimmer was dismissive ....although he conceded that he was unable to source the right colour of hide. So I'm stuck unless anyone knows where I can source the correct hide.

Its not Buffalo hide is it? Your best bet is to contact the Classic Mercedes Centre in Germany for more info quoting your chassis no but be prepared for eye watering prices if available ! Mercedes-Benz Classic Service and Parts.
It’s mushroom leather - code 235A
Just found out the delivery date - 11.02.1998 - so I think it’s one of the last built.
Does anyone know of suppliers who can provide this leather?

That's a lovely car, I had a 1997 CL420 in the same colour. The mirror is held by a small pin inside which does tend to snap. I had the whole mirror replaced back then at my local dealership. But I'm sure nowadays there are ways to repair this yourself with some internet research.

I would definitely get the ATF changed. My gearbox went funny and the car slid on a slippery slip road off a motorway and wrote my car off. It had full dealership service history but I guess ATF was something that was not on the schedule at the time.

That's a lovely car, I had a 1997 CL420 in the same colour. The mirror is held by a small pin inside which does tend to snap. I had the whole mirror replaced back then at my local dealership. But I'm sure nowadays there are ways to repair this yourself with some internet research.

I would definitely get the ATF changed. My gearbox went funny and the car slid on a slippery slip road off a motorway and wrote my car off. It had full dealership service history but I guess ATF was something that was not on the schedule at the time.
I’ve got that problem with interior mirror - my garage bonded it but it’s gone again....
Springs /parking sensors and upholstery repairs are my current bugbear - difficulty is finding parts and competent repairers who are interested enough to do the work properly.....

I’ve got that problem with interior mirror - my garage bonded it but it’s gone again....
Springs /parking sensors and upholstery repairs are my current bugbear - difficulty is finding parts and competent repairers who are interested enough to do the work properly.....
Have a look at this link. I don't know if the author is on this forum

He fixes his rear view mirror and door mirrors. Sorry at a quick glance, I couldn't spot which page but I'm sure I saw it before.

Have a look at this link. I don't know if the author is on this forum

He fixes his rear view mirror and door mirrors. Sorry at a quick glance, I couldn't spot which page but I'm sure I saw it before.
Thanks for this - I am meant to be working from home but submerged myself in the link - it’s both comforting but also frightening ....a lifetime of penury and unexpected outlay awaits....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom