W140 HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

general patten

Car
S320 limo w140
image.jpeg HELP WANTED......my merc won't start,it's a 1996 s320 lwb..changed car battery as it went flat...now central locking doesn't work...I have resinked remote key,put new batterys in key fob....try to start car it just cranks over,interior mirror is flashing red-green lights at same time......HELP ME FELLOW MERC OWNERS PLEASE

The flashing lights mean (I think) the codes exchanged between key and car have gone out of sync, which will indeed prevent the car from starting.

I can't remember the procedure for resyncing but I'm sure the internet will ;)
i have done resync ,I think immobiliser might be stuck on,as alarm goes off after resyncing key fob

Have the car's battery load checked. A battery on its way out, even one that will crank the engine, can cause all sorts of weird and seemingly unrelated problems.

Have the car's battery load checked. A battery on its way out, even one that will crank the engine, can cause all sorts of weird and seemingly unrelated problems.
It's a brand new battery,2weeks old...put new battery on and it fired up straight away,have not used it for 2weeks as I'm always at work.tried it yesterday and the problems started

Asuming the owners manual is long gone you may find this useful?
Wayback Machine
this is also a very good W140 source
K6JRF Auto Page

You may have an electronics problem that is flattening the battery or it might be a simple failure of a door/bonnet boot switch or the alarm unit under the wing has gone bad- the backup batteries inside can corrode away destroying the electrics. You really need to find someone familiar with these cars to fault find for you.
this thread may be useful
----- W140 Do it Your Self Thread ------ - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Last edited:
Asuming the owners manual is long gone you may find this useful?
Wayback Machine
this is also a very good W140 source
K6JRF Auto Page

You may have an electronics problem that is flattening the battery or it might be a simple failure of a door/bonnet boot switch or the alarm unit under the wing has gone bad- the backup batteries inside can corrode away destroying the electrics. You really need to find someone familiar with these cars to fault find for you.
this thread may be useful
----- W140 Do it Your Self Thread ------ - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Thank you

It's a brand new battery,2weeks old...put new battery on and it fired up straight away,have not used it for 2weeks as I'm always at work.tried it yesterday and the problems started

Check the new battery voltage.

Unplug the battery and plug it back in. If you see a spark , there's a short somewhere. You can pull fuses until the short goes away. That would be circuit that's causing the drain.

I can go into more detail but I suspect that if you google 'pulling fuses to find a short', you'll get a million hits that that make a much better effort than i could to explain.

It was said somewhere that red/green flashing indicate low battery in the fob - i see you changed them
I think this might be the right procedure to sync the fob is that what you did before -
Point remote key at receiver in interior mirror. press remote button momentarily twice, turn key in ignition lock to position 2 within the next 30 seconds.

edit: found this online
If Red and Green flash simultaneously then change the remote fob batteries.
If Red and Green flash alternately (when you turn the ignition to position 2)then the cars immobiliser hasn’t been disabled so the car won’t start.

It was said somewhere that red/green flashing indicate low battery in the fob - i see you changed them
I think this might be the right procedure to sync the fob is that what you did before -
Point remote key at receiver in interior mirror. press remote button momentarily twice, turn key in ignition lock to position 2 within the next 30 seconds.

edit: found this online
If Red and Green flash simultaneously then change the remote fob batteries.
If Red and Green flash alternately (when you turn the ignition to position 2)then the cars immobiliser hasn’t been disabled so the car won’t start.
Yep I think myself the immobiliser is stuck on....can the immobiliser be disconnected ??????......I don't want to give up on the car as it has only got 75,000 miles on it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom