W140 - How difficult to retrofit Parktronic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Quincy_W140

Car
C215 2005 CL500
I've been thinking (dangerous and expensive) - how difficult would it be to retrofit Parktronic; I know it was an option on the W140 and probably standard on the higher-end models.

What would be needed? Replacement bumpers, wiring, some sort of control module and the dash mounted display.

I'd like this to look like factory-fit rather than after-market...possible?

Has anyone done this?

Best Regards,

Q.

Have just fitted Parking sensors from WWW.pulluptothebumper.com you choose what you want. Took me all day but that was due to 2 rusted bolts on the bumper under the wheel arch. Once released 3 hours max.:cool:

I would have thought it was too expensive to retrofit the genuine OEM thing to make it worth it.

However, a decent aftermarket set could look OEM and be pretty cheap. I fitted a good set on a previous car and it was very good and looked the part.

I'm considering adding these to my 124 at some point.

Pull up to the bumper do a wireless set IIRC , i was looking at them myself .

They also do coloured sensors so that they match the car ...

Their LED display is not unlike the OEM ones .

pulluptothebumper do coloured sensors but unless you get the perfect match they look naff. Do what I Did and get the black (cheaper), sand to take off clear coat and mount them onto a piece of very stiff card and spray the correct colour. I bought my paint from www.auto-paints.co.uk in St.Helens. They were drying whilst i got the bumper off drilled the holes, mounted the sensors wired thro the existing hole, replaced bumper, pluged in sensors in sequence, pwered from the reversing light wire, buzzer placed behind rear seat, job done.:bannana: I'll put a photo on tomorrow, dark out there now:(

So its not too difficult to wire up parking sensors in general?

What does it involve?

when i did this on my Mondeo I connected it up so it powered it from the reversing light circuit to switch them on/off. Then just fed the wire for the display along under the carpets and up to the dash for the display.

Scariest bit is drilling the holes in the bumper! you need to make sure its exact - too small and the sensor wont fit in, too big and it will fall though! :eek:

my best tip would be to drill a intentional smaller hole and then use a round file to file to just the correct size for the sensor to clip into.

pulluptothebumper do coloured sensors but unless you get the perfect match they look naff. Do what I Did and get the black (cheaper), sand to take off clear coat and mount them onto a piece of very stiff card and spray the correct colour. I bought my paint from www.auto-paints.co.uk in St.Helens. They were drying whilst i got the bumper off drilled the holes, mounted the sensors wired thro the existing hole, replaced bumper, pluged in sensors in sequence, pwered from the reversing light wire, buzzer placed behind rear seat, job done.:bannana: I'll put a photo on tomorrow, dark out there now:(

My car is white and they sell white, would it be better to paint them or just buy them ready painted?

Won't be the same white ...

when i did this on my Mondeo I connected it up so it powered it from the reversing light circuit to switch them on/off. Then just fed the wire for the display along under the carpets and up to the dash for the display.

Scariest bit is drilling the holes in the bumper! you need to make sure its exact - too small and the sensor wont fit in, too big and it will fall though! :eek:

my best tip would be to drill a intentional smaller hole and then use a round file to file to just the correct size for the sensor to clip into.

Pulluptothebumper supply the hole cutter exact for the sensors as part of the kit. Anybody want to buy a hole cutter...used once dont need it any more:devil: Also as a tip on the back of the bumper trim which you can see thrugh the holes in the bumper....there are +'s where to start your pilot hole...therefore no measuring.

be careful if painting. Some wont allow you to paint over the sensor bit itself. For example, my sensors came black. car was silver. I painted the surround of each sensor to match my car colour and left the sensor centre bit black. Looked OK - many OEM ones on cars look the same.

it probably varys with brand though.

With discussing this, i think i'm going to fit some to my 124 :)

Someone posted an aftermarket kit that had a display very similar to mercedes own parktronic - looked OEM both inside and out, and probably what i would be looking at if i fit these.

I've been thinking (dangerous and expensive) - how difficult would it be to retrofit Parktronic; I know it was an option on the W140 and probably standard on the higher-end models.

What would be needed? Replacement bumpers, wiring, some sort of control module and the dash mounted display.

I'd like this to look like factory-fit rather than after-market...possible?

Has anyone done this?

Best Regards,

Q.
Hi Quincy,

I noticed that you sold your 140. Did you ever retrofit it with parktronic? I am about to do so -- I've got all the parts from a donor car. If you did the job, I'd love to hear any recommendations you may have. Cheers Paulo

The OP hasn't been on the forums for about 3 and a half years, so you may well not get a reply. Would be worth starting your own thread, more likely to get up-to-date responses than resurrecting a 10 year old thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom