W140. Key broken in half in ignition barrel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Any ideas on what to do next?

Jay's suggestion was mine too.....

Otherwise if you can get your hands on some lock-opening "picks" you could try one down each side of the key, hoping to draw it out? It would be an easier job on a workbench - can you turn it to position 1 and draw the barrel out?

I have also had success with a very small tweezer with some super glue on the tips... But depends how far down it is.

Extrapolating that out, how about some "metal-suitable" super glue on the other end of the key? Not got much to lose at this stage?

Could you order a matched barrel and key if its a decent car?

Thanks for all the replies.

It is a decent car.

The owner has a spare key & also all the p/w to order new keys, locks etc but now the (new) immediate problem is removing the broken bit.

He told me the ignition was sticky last week & I told him to attend to it immediately. I guess he didn't understand how immediate I meant when I said 'immediately'.

I think glue must be the last resort as there's the danger of gumming up the lock mechanism, even if we were successful in retrieving the broken bit.

We'll try tiny bits of stiff wire & even a v. strong vacuum tomoz & then probably end up calling a locksmith.

Last edited:
what a pain!

hope it sorts out ok for you, let us know how you get on

If your friend cannot get the broken piece out would the panel recommend deliberately glueing a metal piece within the lock and getting the whole thing back to position 1 on ignition to remove barrel?

If the key can be turned to position 1 then the barrel can be removed and the broken piece retrieved, there is/was a how-to on removal of the barrel fairly recently.

Example... YouTube - Mercedes 300D Ignition Tumbler Removal

Dec

The saga continues.

When I left the car yesterday the ignition barrel was as it left the factory, albeit with a broken key in it.

Today it's a different story. Brother of owner "helped" by taking a screwdriver to the IB, hoping to achieve what I just don't know. All they did was bugger it up. Then they decided to remove the barrel, damaging the under dash cover & the electronics bits attached to the barrel, which is out. Further screwdriver attacks once it was out only succeeded in more damage & that's where I left it, suggesting a visit to the MB dealer might be the cheapest way to fix this.

Last edited:
If they've buggered it up themselves Neil , after you have spoken to them and advised them , i'd be inclined to wash my hands of it ...

Are they friends or customers ?

Business acquaintances.

I have pretty much withdrawn form this.

I think thats probably for the best , it's gonna be exbenzive by the sound of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom