w140 Lorinser 6.9 wheels refurbed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talbir

MB Enthusiast
I need to take some better pics in daylight but time was running out yesterday so some sneak preview shots below.

The 19" x 9J Lorinser (by Ronal) alloys on this gorgeous car i purchased last month, were in a dire state....lacquer peeled, heavy pitting and 2 of the inner rims had cracks !

Split the wheels and had the dishes hand polished and lacquered, the centre pieces and inner rims powder coated in gun-metal grey, after professional alu-weld repair of the cracked inner rims. The cracked inner rims seems to be a common feature on Ronal split rims for some reason. Thankfully, it's only the inner rim edges that crack, not the bolt hole openings, which is a far more difficult issue and common on the AMG 3-piece OZ Racing split rims.

I chose the gun-metal grey to replicate what i had done with my silver 500E (now owned by Jay Manek) - i thought the dark centres on the silver car worked perfectly. The original Lorinser finish was a diamond cut / polished look on the centre face, but i opted for the gunmetal for a personalised look. The gold plated fasteners (36 on the outer dish and 8 on the centre cap) worked a treat !

All badging has been done in gold plating as well, which again works well on the silver and again a personal taste.

More pics to follow later in the week. To give spec on the car :

- Lorinser bodykit (all professionally fitted by Lorinser with documentation)
- Lorinser wheels
- Lorinser door sills
- Lorinser speedometer
- Lorinser footmats
- Lorinser fr+rr springs (designed to work with the adaptive suspension system)
- Brabus 6.9 v12 engine, 510 bhp / 519 lb ft torque
- Brabus tempomat

Original w140 Lorinser rear exhaust box is in the post to me !

Paintwork and interior on the car are excellent (7/10), with the exception of a scratch on the front nearside wing and a scuff on the rear bumper. Car looks amazing !

I never thought w140s looked great, but Lorinser made this car look very pretty. It reminds me a lot of my old silver 500e, except this is more luxurious and much faster....but not as pretty ! Nothing is prettier than a w124 500e for me !

cheers
talbir

Last edited:
Another excellent car with the Talbir touch. I am looking forward to some daylight shots of the exterior and interior. Just a quick question - How do you choose which car to drive? Even on a rotational basis you have a car per day for two weeks.

Wow it looks absolutely stunning. :cool:

Sorry people but those wheels look a little "Pimp my Ride". To me they spoil a lovely car.

Another fine job their talbir.
:thumb:

Definitely, i shall get some interior and exterior shots posted up, hopefully on Friday when i have a day off work...by the time i get home from work, it's well dark.

The wheels look even better in daylight...as does the car. The dusky shots don't do it justice.

Trainer - i don't really get to choose which car to drive...as i work in the City, i don't even get to drive, i train and tube to work! Weekends are the only time i get a chance....and for the past few weeks, i haven't wanted to drive anything but this 6.9 litre Brabus drive-trained beast...it's just awesome ! My last experience of a w140 was the 1997 S320 i had back in 2005....and that was an infuriating driving experience as it was underpowered for such a big car. This 6.9 just brings smiles to the face everytime.

cheers
talbir

What you say just reassures me of wanting one. Though the upkeep costs must be hideous. I think I would have to re-mortgage at the pumps every time.

Honeybear - i was extremely lucky to find that this car has all electronics in full working order. Usually, these w140's have no end of electric gimo's all packed up. And all the gizmos have very expensive control modules.

Fuel economy with the stock 6.0 V12 is bad...with this big bore 6.9 it's just obscene ! I barely get 9 mpg...it'd probably not be so bad if i drove it gently, but to drive this car without putting the foot down...well that would be like putting a fruit pastille in your mouth and being asked to refrain from chewing !:D

cheers
talbir

Getting there with my projects slowly...hard to find time for them when things like this 6.9 get in the way :D

talbir

Quality car... quality bank account :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom