W140 S280 4sp or 5sp Auto?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLMILLEMIGLIA

Car
Old Merc
I'm looking around W140 S280/S320 on the market, I'm covering up to 500 miles a week and this model would fit the bill. I've noticed that the S280 has a 4sp auto, was the 5sp auto an option? My SL320 has a 5sp which has been excellent, but I'm not so sure an S280 4sp is a good combination?

you do know the 280 is dog slow, and it wont reach 4th very often with such short trips in hilly scotland. go for the 320.

I am not certain the 320 is really enough......especially with the four speed box. I think the box is predominantly year related circa 1996.

Mic

Interesting points, thanks.

I ran an 95 E220 for a couple years, power to weight ratio wasn't much different to an S280, was quick enough for general wafting. Will continue the hunt for next daily driver.....

Performance will generally be dictated by back axle / gearbox final drive ratio. Perhaps this is why its a 4 speed= won't pull a fifth gear. Car will have a lower top speed and you might have to rev it more in the intermediate gears to get adequate acceleration which means it may not be as economical as the larger engined models. But since you won't be doing more than 70mph -- does it matter? ;)

Had a S280 and it was more juicy them my S500
Prior 1996 all 4 speeds,go for face lifted one otherwise wouldn't consider

Borys. Very interesting thanks. What was mpg with 280 v 500, and what year was your 500 did this have 5 speed box?

S500 was 1998 long wheel base which later I converted to run on lpg-that was cheap to run.Was getting in a town around 18mpg in 500 s280 same.On the run could squeeze 28mpg from 500
Similar but having a v8 with straight six s280 consumption was a bonus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom