W140 S320 - Noisy Tappets/lifters ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard300

Car
CLK230Kompressor (factory AMG sport pack) & Jaguar XJ8 (X308)
Hi, I have just been to view a 1996 S320 with 227km on the clock (141,000 Miles)..... I have recently moved to South Australia where everything seems to have done at least 200km and nobody seems to keep service history - but they do have their cars serviced frequently.

This car is not perfect in as much as the roof needs a repaint and the interior rear view mirror seems to have fallen apart (all the parts are in the car - with the electrical gubbins still attached to the windscreen in part of the housing)..

All the fluids are fresh with the car having been recently serviced - but who knows if its the correct grade oil and coolant.

It's all reflected in the price BUT there is a tappet/ticking noise from the top/rear part of the engine that isn't audible if the car is revved to say 2000rpm...... Anything major to worry about?? The car is used very infrequently and i viewed the car from cold.

I can deal with the paint and find a solution for the mirror and am happy to re service the car with correct spec coolant and oil....

Last edited:
Hi. Could it be MOT valve making the noise, also called purge valve? Hold your finger on it when you hear the noise and you will feel the "pulse". Should be on the right hand side of the engine bay and looks like this
62319d1230110936-purge-valve-100_1970.jpg

Hi,
Try revving the engine gently if it's the purge valve the ticking will not increase with the engine revs, my C320 has the same noise, by all accounts it's the mount that's the problem and not the valve.
Regards,
Chalpkin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom