W140 S500 beginning to detail.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smw

Car
W140 S500
I've spent the last few weeks trawling a fantastic forum, detailing world, to learn about the art of car cleaning and today I finally started the paint correction on my S500. The car has been washed several times in the past 3 weeks and has had some hand polishing and waxing done but today I got out the DA polisher and some Menzerna polish. The results were fantastic. It took me a couple of hours to do 1 half of the bonnet but its worth the effort. Unfortunately rain stopped play and I was unable to get any decent pics. I have a selection of Backfire products to treat and protect the paint which I will apply this weekend. The pics aren't good but they're all I have for now.

Attachments

• IMAG0614.jpg
    IMAG0614.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG0612.jpg
    IMAG0612.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0615.jpg
    IMAG0615.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 105
Hard work and it's addictive if you have the time! I have always had a soft spot for the w140 i look forward to your detailing updates. :thumb:

Lovely beast. I don't have the patience to do the polishing properly, takes me 2 hours for the whole car. :D

Hard work and it's addictive if you have the time!

Just don't let it take your life over. I know people who are so obsessed that their cars won't now go out on a less than perfect day (I used to be similar). :(

I love a shiny and well looked after car, but it's still a car, which is meant to be driven. ;)

Thanks guys. Time is quite hard to find as I have very young twin daughters and a house in need of major renovation. I do believe Sunday is ear marked for a morning of polishing though. I'll update and try to get my missus to take some quality pics with her proper camera.

So I finally found the time to have a proper go at the paint on my car. It was ridiculously hard to get even the slightest swirl out even with Menzerna cutting compound and a cutting pad. I spent about 10 hours with the DA polisher but it was worth it in the end. Photos are only taken on my phone and will get my wife to do some proper ones.

Attachments

• IMAG0637.jpg
    IMAG0637.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0636.jpg
    IMAG0636.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0633.jpg
    IMAG0633.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 98
Very nice work. I'm sure it looks even better in the flesh.

Fantastic job. The light lenses appear clearer than when new!

Not had much of a chance recently. I have bought some new bits and bobs including some Zaino showcar shampoo which is excellent. I've ways been a bit of an AG fan and have a couple of their polishes. I have to say that Ultra Deep Shine is very good on dark paint.

Please excuse the confusing number plate. The car is a 500 although the number plate says 600. The previous owners initials were PFC.

Looks fabulous

Great job.

It always puzzles me why people let older cars get into a state, when a bit of hard work makes them glow like new again.

Must be a joy to own.

Looks great :thumb: I've always loved those S class models

Machining paint takes time, but if you work one panel at a time, over a few days the whole car gets done without taking over your life :D

Really lovely and the W140 still looks invisible to this day. It's credit to you.

Top work. :thumb:

Great looking car that is obviously well cared for. The W214 S500 was the car that got me into the brand back in the 90's.
I was being picked up from Abu Dhabi Airport by my brother in law and he arrived in his S500 with soft cream leather and bags of power. Same colour as the one above. It was just built so much better than similar limousines of the day.
That was when I decided I'd be getting a MB next car.

Thanks guys. It's my birthday on Wednesday and it's getting an entire days detail. I've even roped my wife into cleaning the engine bay. Ill out pics as and when.

See other thread for newer pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom