W140 S600 cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
I need to get cats fitted to my S600 for it's first UK (The car had striaght through pipes fitted when I lived in Dubai), and it's seems the best price is from cats Direct, which is a very reasonable 350 inc vat for the pair, although that is for the cermic ones.

Does anybody have any experience with cats direct? are there any other options for reasonably priced cats?

I was quoted nearly 3,000 gbp by the main dealer in Dubai, but haven't checked any Uk dealers since I got back.

Having never had to replace cats before, I have no idea whether it's false economy to get the cheaper ones, or whether the metal ones are a better option than the cheaper cermics etc.

Anybody have any thoughts on which route to go, or other companies selling potentially better cats?

A year ago I replaced my rhs cat using an aftermarket part from BM Catalysts at a cost of £250 (MB wanted £1k+), the fit was very bad & it sounded quite tinney but at a quater of the price I decided its worth a go for the saving.

Last month it failed again, the BM cat has a 2 year warranty but they wanted me to firstly get a 4-gas emissions report (at my cost) then remove & send back the cat (at my cost) after which they would decide if it genuinely failed. If a replacement was provided then again I would have to fit it at my cost!!

That's probably the cheapest your going to find, I priced the MB cats for the E36 and they were £2650 +vat :eek: because they had an AMG part number.

The cats direct ones might last a year or 2 then you'd be back in the same boat. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I found some second ones in good nic (From Adrian on this site) and they worked a treat, just passed an MOT with very low emission figures :thumb: so I struck lucky there.

If you go down the second hand route make sure they don't rattle when you tap them or any nasty powdery stuff (Platinum and what have you) comes out of the pipes.....you don't want that sucked into the engine as you'd be looking at an engine rebuild

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom