W140 - shiny!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilz

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S320L, 1997, Black with Black Bird's Eye Maple trim
I thought I would give my W140 long wheelbase if not a full detail a bit of one.

I used warm water and a clean sponge to give it a quick wash (removed all loose dirt).

I then used the Autoglym clay-bar and quick detailer to clay-bar the whole car (incredible how much was on the bit of clay after each panel, used over half a bar on the car!) (with included blue microfibre)

I then used the Autoglym HD Cleanser (with included red microfibre) followed by the Bilt-Hamber Cleanser-Polish (with included applicator (great quality) and included huge microfibre) and finally Autoglym HD wax (with included applicator, not so good, and included red microfibre)

On the plastics (then not-too-dirty alloys) I just used the cloth I used for clay-baring with a bit of quick-detailer still on it then gave them a quick wipe with another microfibre.

On the windows I used Autoglym Car Glass Polish

Sorry I don't have photos now - I finished when it was dark (working under streetlight was even more demanding) so will take photos tomorrow (car may need a bit more buffing - I may have missed a spot or two?)

A car that size takes a lot out of you!

That mpg was calculated on motorway driving to and from Brockenhurst. I think it's a bit lower in London on small journeys - the needle stays just above 10mpg (to the left is above, the dial goes from 0 to max mpg to min - where's the sense in that?!)

But it's lovely and clean now, paintwork is so smooth, even all the touchups by the previous owner didn't look too bad.

I was going to use Autoglym SRP after the Bilt-Hamber one but my arm was aching and I think that Cleanser-Polish did such a good job there would be no need. All SRP would have done is fill in the swirl marks C-P didn't smooth out but it did very well getting rid of most of them.

I would have done better than use a cloth with a bit of quick-detailer left on it to do the plastics and alloys but it was almost pitch-black when I finished. I will do the wheels properly in a couple of weeks.

As it may snow in London and the interior gets dirty quickly, I will wait until late Jan at least to get the interior valeted.

I find the red sponge applicator with the HD wax pretty good. You need to ensure it's damp before use though.

It was damp, but having just used the Bilt-Hamber one it felt very thin and needed a bit of pressure to spread the wax. Hard to explain truth be told, just found it took a lot moreeffort (the fact the wax is thick and basically solid isn't why)

Terrible photos by someone pushed for time, but you get the idea!

Maybe on Saturday I'll take some better ones

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 348
  • photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 349
  • photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 349
Well, gave it another wipe today, looking better each time!

To recap, a couple of weeks ago I used warm water, then the Autoglym Clay-Bar kit, then Autoglym HD Cleanser, then Bilt-Hamber Cleanser-Polish, then Autoglym HD wax (just one coat). Dirt just wipes off with a dry microfibre!

I admit I did buff some of the more stubborn spots out, but not with much force.

neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5240-side-reflection.jpg

Reflections...
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5239-reflection.jpg

More reflections...
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5237-bonnet-reflection-again.jpg

Yet more reflections (from the bonnet)
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5238-bonnet-reflection-yet-again.jpg

And some more...
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5234-bonnet-reflection.jpg

And more...
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5236-rear.jpg

The rear of the car
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5235-side.jpg

The side of the car
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5233-reflection.jpg

And more reflections...
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5232-reflection.jpg

Oh - and more...
neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5231-front.jpg

The front of the car

And here (for comparison) is how the car looked the day I got it:

neilz-albums-my-new-w140-s320l-picture5156-day-i-bought-car.jpg

It's almost as if it was a different colour!

That is a lot of car to clean.

Mic

And again this weekend...

All I use is a microfiber now, no chemicals, not even water!

I use two if the panel's absolutely covered in dirt (one to get rid of the majority of the dirt and the other to wipe away the final bit (so the first one doesn't end up scratching the paintwork)).

Look closely at the photo of the Mercedes badge - there's a very new Mercedes parked in front of mine and a lovely C123 on the other side of the road. I know which of the two I prefer...

(the W123!)

Attachments

• WP_000081.jpg
    WP_000081.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 217
  • WP_000083.jpg
    WP_000083.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 215
  • WP_000084.jpg
    WP_000084.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 214

Attachments

• WP_000085.jpg
    WP_000085.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 215
  • WP_000086.jpg
    WP_000086.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 215
Now, ever since I've had the car there always were very visible swirl marks from certain angles. My wiping-the-dirt-off method didn't make it worse, but it didn't address the issue either. So yesterday morning I used the Bilt-Hamber Cleanser-Polish but I rubbed it in quite hard with the applicator and used a bit more of it. I then used the Halfords Polisher to push/grind(?) it in further before buffing it off with a clean microfibre. The result is nothing short of spectacular, the paint is so smooth and the finish is like glass, with pin-sharp reflections. I didn't put anything over it - I looked into the Cleanser-Polish and apparently it's fine on its own (and repels dirt according to their site). My phone currently isn't usable as it's installing an update but after it's finished I'll put the 2 photos I took onto my laptop and post them.

I couldn't recommend the Cleanser-Polish enough. I used it before but with an electric polisher it's different - removed every swirl mark and left the paint so shiny!

Here they are!

Attachments

• WP_000192.jpg
    WP_000192.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 127
  • WP_000193.jpg
    WP_000193.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 127
Poor photos, more this weekend. I'm tempted to do a bit of work on the alloys and may, may wax the car with what's left of my HD wax. I'll wait and see, but it looks amazing as is!

You look as if you live in a lovely area, or did you drive there for the photo's! :D

Poor photos, more this weekend. I'm tempted to do a bit of work on the alloys and may, may wax the car with what's left of my HD wax. I'll wait and see, but it looks amazing as is!

I would definitely give it a wax it will keep it looking that good for longer.:thumb:

You look as if you live in a lovely area, or did you drive there for the photo's! :D

That's Turnham Green :D

Went there for my usual Indian lunch in what must be one of the best Indians in London - Annapurna!

I would definitely give it a wax it will keep it looking that good for longer.:thumb:

Almost out of HD wax and it's expensive - do you think SRP would do? It's not wax, but it may protect? Apparently Cleanser Polish also protects and acts as a barrier.

Srp will give some protection but its really a filler/polish, wax would be far better. I personally use dodo juice or collonite both are a paste wax which last a long time

I've got some ancient Poundland wax...!

Say there's 1cm of HD wax left in the pot but you can see the bottom in the centre, is that enough for a LWB W140?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom