W140 vs W220.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
I'm not looking to buy one but if one were set on an S500, which of these two models would be a better bet in terms of reliability and running costs (buying cost aside)?

John, 140 for the looks. 220 for everything else.

A 140 all day long.

w140 beats w220 in reliability easily. looks are subjective.

That is good news, dont seem to hear much about them. I don't think I could ever be without my 126 but the other day I saw an early orange indicator 140, the same smoke silver as my car and I couldn't help thinking what a fantastic companion it would make:D

Reliability the W140 has it, the W220 has more toys available, but these can lend to the unreliability.

Looks wise, I love the W140 and it still turns heads, but some see it as a big ugly barge.

There is a black W140 in The Wolf of Wall Street and it looked stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

As always it's down to how simple or complicated the cars are.
that's why reliability w126>140>w220

Having had both in our family I'd say the W140 every time. The W140 has much more presence than the W220.

I know the styling isn't to everyone's tastes - however in my view, in the right spec and colour combination the W140 is a timeless classic in the making.

As always it's down to how simple or complicated the cars are.
that's why reliability w126>140>w220

So W116 is the most reliable S-Class ever made and 222 is the most unreliable?

All comes down to how easy it is to source replacement parts or have a warranty cover. 220 wins on both accounts. Plus, better ergonomics, sound proofing and handling.

Personally, I like the W140 better but it has nothing to do with reliability. Wouldn't use it as a daily either.

EDIT: On top of everything, M113 is a better engine and needs less juice to run faster.

Last edited:
w140 every single time. Just be sure to buy a 96 or later to avoid the soy bean wiring harness mess.

I owned a w220 S500 for a year in the first year of production, and it was nothing short of a joke. It broke down constantly, wing mirrors caught fire, suspension collapsed, to name but a few issues. They may have cured all of the problems by the end of the production run, but that experience put me off any Benz from the "Chrysler" period for life.

So W116 is the most reliable S-Class ever made and 222 is the most unreliable?

All comes down to how easy it is to source replacement parts or have a warranty cover. 220 wins on both accounts. Plus, better ergonomics, sound proofing and handling.

Personally, I like the W140 better but it has nothing to do with reliability. Wouldn't use it as a daily either.

EDIT: On top of everything, M113 is a better engine and needs less juice to run faster.
If 220 didnt have airmatic I would agree

You want a reliable car with reasonable running costs and you're looking at an S500?!

As a seasoned S Class driver I can tell you that your head needs looking at.

Both have pros and cons. Both are amongst the most expensive cars to run.

You want a reliable car with reasonable running costs and you're looking at an S500?!

:dk:

Fair enough, I presume that wasn't directed at me then. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom