W140 w/s wipers problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonygk

Car
W140 1994
Hi all,

I just replaced the wiper blades on my W140 and noticed when testing them that the drivers wiper does not bob up and down as it should. Both wipers sweep the screen ok but it is just the bobbing action that I need to put right. Any ideas please?

i am breaking one if you need the motor and linkage

Thanks John,

before replaceing anything I would like to know what the problem is. Has anyone had this issue before. Has a clip come off or something?

Cheers T

You could remove the black plastic cover and grease the mechanism, run the wiper with the cover off and wiper arm removed to see if that will give a clue as to what is wrong…keep your fingers away from the mechanism while the keys are in the ignition.

You tube video… YouTube - W140_wiper.mp4

The wiper arm and the cover might? come off in a similar way to a W202… YouTube - Maintenance viper on a Mercedes R129

If you can’t correct the fault at the top side of the mechanism you might need to removed the mechanism to get at the underside. It could just be a loose nut at the underside, others may know more.

Dec

Thanks all for that, I think I will have to take it apart and see. Very useful thanks again. Lets hope it's just a loose nut.

Unless there is something obvious under the cover, then I think, after seeing those last links, that it probably is that plastic gear that is broken, how the W140 blade moves in and out is quite similar to the W202 single wiper which also suffers from the same fault with a similar gear.

If it is causing problems then it is possible to jam the in/out action of the blade mechanism with a lolly pop stick or tie the mechanism levers with cable ties so the blade doesn’t extend outwards.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/47227-w202-wiper-almost-fixed.html

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom