W163 Gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercman1969

Hi folks,

My 52 plate W163 320 recently had its A (60k) service

Since returning it has a tendancy to do the following

Under hard acceleration sometimes it kicks down but then all i get is hi revs and no go

it is almost as though if in a manual you shove the throttle down at the same time as the clutch and all you get is lots of noise and no go

Is this a known problem...

any ideas

Hi Mercman,

Well, if you're saying that the car has only developed this problem since the service, you need to find out if the trans fluid was changed, if so there's a good chance that the trans fluid level is too low.

Trans fluid wasnt changed as far as I am aware

It was only a A service so basics.......even had to ask them to change the plugs as they wernt due

I take it that trans fluid is critical with auto box?

Trans fluid wasnt changed as far as I am aware

It was only a A service so basics.......even had to ask them to change the plugs as they wernt due

I take it that trans fluid is critical with auto box?

You bet it's critical, the transmission relies on it's ability to generate and deliver hydraulic fluid under pressure at exactly the right time and controlled precisely to activate the various internal components, so you can see that low fluid level can lead to low fluid pressure = poor shift quality.

Put another way, it's easy and cheap to check ;)

It sounds like the MAF sensor has gone South so the ECU doesn't see increased airflow, thus doesn't fuel up and deliver power.

Can happen after an air filter change.

YES,

It is the MAF

Now....where is the best place to buy a replacement?

I suppose they are simple to fit yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom