W163 ML bouncing locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Mrs D's passenger side lock starting playing up on Friday night. When attempting to lock it attempts several times in short succession but then gives up (sounds a bit like a machine gun). All the other doors lock fine.

Strangely, when driving the door does lock (tested by attempting to open from the outside) but when the car is not moving it doesn't lock. :dk: Shame it's not the other way round. :wallbash:

A search suggests it could be an iffy central locking motor or maybe fixed with a little WD40, either way I believe it's a job and a half to strip the door card and remove the motor (drill out rivets??!!).

Called in at two dealers this morning - both said come back on Monday, albeit one is a helpful way and the other in a rude way.

Anyone done it? Is it a bit of a pain?

Any idea how much it will cost to strip door and replace motor (worst case scenario)?

Its a new door lock i'm afraid. I Think Jay(?) has stripped one and replaced a broken spring before. I maybe wrong though.

Not a difficult job to do to replace it.

Yep new motor, not the end of the world....

Its only the spring that goes but its quite an odd spring so getting a replacement is pretty much impossible and a whole new lock is around £60 IIRC.

Thanks both - much appreciated.

Sorted.

Given that the car hasn't been secure since Friday, I had little choice but to get it fixed ASAP by a dealer close to where I'm working today. Relieved me of £247 including VAT to replace the motor, which i more than I had hoped.

Still, the car's secure again, and Mrs D can give me my C32 back!!

I know this ia a number of years old but I recently had the problem on the c32. Went on ebay, bought the spring kit. Stripped the door card off, accessed and removed the lock, replaced the spring and reversed the removal.

Remember to test, the door switch needs to be pressed in so it thinks the door is closed or the lock wont work and you will repeat many times until it dawns on you like me!!

Fix cost 10 pounds from ebay and you get 4 springs in the kit plus the surgical pliers needed to replace the spring. Should take less than an hour to do!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom