W163 ML ICE upgrade (sorry!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimml

Car
W163 ML270 CDI
Hi all. Sorry as this seems to be a topic that has been done to death but I'm confused!

My car is an ML270 CDI, registered in January 2004 and built in July 2003. As far as I can tell it has no options - it's as basic as it could be.

It has the Audio 10 CD head unit. No signs of Bose and just four speakers (one in each door) and a tweeter in each front door. Is this a D2B system? How can I tell? I've read extensively online and most reference is made to the Bose systems so I'm a little confused.

I would like to install an aftermarket head unit (I have a couple in the garage from previous cars)

While I'm asking, a friend has an ML270 CDI that was registered in January 2004 too. His car has a Comand head unit (definitely) but no Bose (I think, I haven't examined the car). Will it be possible to fit an aftermarket head unit to this?

Your ML with Audio 10 will definitely take an aftermarket head unit without any problems. I replaced it with a Becker Mexico head unit, and it completely transformed the sound, even with the original speakers. Originally the sound was poor, but afterwards it was great.

Your friends car could be less straight forward.

Your ML with Audio 10 will definitely take an aftermarket head unit without any problems. I replaced it with a Becker Mexico head unit, and it completely transformed the sound, even with the original speakers. Originally the sound was poor, but afterwards it was great.

Your friends car could be less straight forward.

Woohoo! I have a Kenwood and an Alpine head unit in the garage, both with Bluetooth etc so I'll look into adapters for those. I think the Kenwood has DAB too, so probably that one :)

That's great news. I had got used to AM/FM/CD only, but this will be great.

If his car is fibre optic, I think he'll just have to suck it up (or trade for mine with 100k miles more and lots of dents, scratches and rust)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom