W163 ML270 demister air distribution actuator and flap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOZ

Car
W163 ML270 Inspiration, Leon Cupra TDI
Hi Guy's,
Not sure if this is teh correct place to post so please forgive me.

With this moist weather I have found my ML is suffering the classic demister actuator problem (from searches on other forums it looks to be common on a number of models (including the ML, and C class).

I have found some good info on other sites like benzworld.org etc and I'm pretty sure my problem is likely to be a cracked (plastic!!!!) actuator lever on the demister flap actuator arm.

It looks like a cheap part but is buried deep in the dash area. Does any one know of a useful DIY guide to access it without removing the whole dash?

There are some useful threads and instructions on other sites, where people have don it in an hour or so accessing via the drivers footwell (without removing the dash) but they are all for left hand drive versions (and I don't know if the right hand drive version actuator locations and mounting is mirror imaged or laid out as per the LHD I would guess the same as the LHD?

If the latter I'm not sure how to access the area from the passenger footwell (or the drivers side really) (where to pull the carpet back, any locations for fixing screws etc.

Has anyone changed this before (especially on a RHD version) and can anyone point me in the right direction, or point me to a good DIY. (I have tried searching here but not found anything)

I'm pretty sure I have the skill to do it (unless I have to remove the full dash) but just need an idea of where to start looking to try to get access and whether I should be trying from the passenger side (mounted like the LHD versions) or whether I need to tackle it from the drivers side (if it is mounted mirror image) if I have to tackle it from the drivers side then I will have the foot operated hand brake bracket and assembly to remove.

Any help would be great, otherwise it will be a case of using a chamois leather to de-mist the screen first thing during the winter until the whole car heats up (taking about 20 mins or so to do it itself at the moment. Note the aircon has been re-charged and is working, but there is no air directed at the windscreen (or very little)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Moz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom