W163 ML320 Accelerator Pedal Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichM63

Car
ML320
I reckon that this pedal should be classed as a service item in a similar manner to brake pads.

My W163 ML320 had a nasty flat spot in the pivotal travel, causing either no acceleration, or Red Lights out acceleration once the flat spot had been moved through. Constant velocity was also virtually impossible as the flat worn spot was evidently at the 'normal' accelerator position range 30-50 mph.

The drill for Traffic Lights was either be first in the queue or wait until the car in front had moved out about 20 yards to avoid launching into the rear of the unsuspecting guy in front. (really not very pleasant at all).

Ordered a £20 quid part from PFS in the UK Saturday evening, mentally allowing the 9 working days for the part to get over here to France.

New genuine US manufactured MB part arrived this lunch time.:)

Fitted the assembly this afternoon between hail showers (30 mins max). 2 10mm bolts and a cable release.

The difference is Chalk and Cheese. The car now accelerates and maintains velocity with normal restrained driving foot pressures, no more the feeling of nothing there, or abusive kick-down.

Dismantled my existing pedal, although not showing much lateral wear on the pivot, there is certainly a spot where the pedal locks when applying a slightly lateral downward force, ie normal foot operation.

For about £20 odd quid I don't understand why this assembly is not classed as a normal service change part or why anyone would instruct a service centre not to routinely change it.

I'll now monitor the lateral play in the new pedal against the old pedal, although I am now a very soft footed driver under normal conditions.

Rich

did back fire on losing acceleration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom