w163 ml350 double din stereo

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by UniqueTouch, Dec 3, 2008.

1. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Active Member

Car:
    ML350 Inspiration W163
    Hi,

I'm picking up a 2003 ML350 on the weekend (if my number plate transfer from existing merc is done in time by DVLA).

The w163 currently has a radio/cassete player only with a space below it.

Basically, it appears to be double-din size for comand unit.

I'm interested in the JVC KW-AVX810 (http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jvc-kwavx810-p-6483.html) touch screen stereo unit.

If I remove the standard stereo, am I able to remove the plastic holder below this so that a double-din unit can go in it's place?

Do I need to get a new faceplate for the w163 to allow for this? If so, does anyone know the part number to order from the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

2. bigbobs cl

bigbobs cl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

The plastic tray underneath should just pull out. Need to check if you have the fibre optic system though with the bose speakers. If you do then expensive job to have the whole lot re-wired! If not then a double din unit should fit in no problem.

Edit: Just reread and noticed you said radio cassette so probably not on optical!

Bob

3. OP
    OP
    UniqueTouch

Car:
    ML350 Inspiration W163
    wow quick response especially at this time! thanks bigbobs!

yes it's definatley a radio cassete from what i can remember (i've attached a picture of the interior that was on the dealer website).

So do I need to cut anything...looking at the picture it seems as if I would need to hack the middle sides bits?

cheers

Attached Files:

4. bigbobs cl

Once that tray comes out you will just have a big double din hole! I`ve taken the trays our on plenty when i fit DVD`s in there for the rear headrest/roof screens.

Bob

5. OP
    OP
    UniqueTouch

Car:
    ML350 Inspiration W163
  6. bigbobs cl

Bit too mechanical for me that one, i`m an auto-electrician!!:D

7. OP
    OP
    UniqueTouch

Car:
    ML350 Inspiration W163
    no worries ;)

not sure if anyone has visibility of that thread as it's quite old now so thought I'd try my luck by asking. Will post a new thread.

Cheers for your help though, much appreciated.

8. wobbly

wobbly Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2013 ML350 AMG, 1989 500SL Now sold, replaced with 2007 Aston Martin DB9
    Yes there is a small plastic lug on each side that will have to be cut away. These are the lugs that support a single din stereo.

9. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
  10. Gucci

Gucci Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
    Wow, co-incidence! Just fitted that very stereo in my W163 ML350! Yes the two plastic supports can be taken out with some grips and twisting! The "sleeve" for the unit is INCREDIBLY tight...it will go in, just got to get it in the right angle. The other thing is the radio connection. You'll need an adapter from Halfords to convert - £4 ish. Works a treat in my car! Great to be able to detach the face :bannana:

11. Smatt

Smatt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 E350Cdi Cab Auto, 2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
    Hi bigbobs cl,
    Can you advise me re our B class- it has H-K Logic7 12x speakers/amp with audio 20 & 6 disc player. At some point I am thinking of upgrading and was wondering about connectivity.
    I understood that having H-K/changer means optical is used- is this correct?
    If so is it possible to fit aftermarket stereo(I know this will make CD player obsolete) & if so what is involved. I am considering a pioneer unit with hard disk music store.
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Matt

12. bigbobs cl

Matt, yes you will be using fibre optic on that set-up. The logic7 is basically a 7.1 surround sound system which the audio 20 controls. If you were looking at swapping the head unit then a serious amount of work would be involved as the whole car would need to be re-wired and probably new amplifiers fitted. You would also lose the surround sound side of things unless you went for serious amplifiers. Depending on what feature you were looking for from your new head unit the better option would be to look for those features as seperates that could be integrated into your current set-up.

Bob

13. OP
    OP
    UniqueTouch

Car:
    ML350 Inspiration W163
    Hi Gucci, good to hear someone else has made the same choice!

Thanks for the tip?

Did you have to cut/join any leads up, or was the ISO connector ok?

Where did you route the USB cable to? The glovebox?

So, whats your opinion on the unit having installed and used it? Any annoyances with it?

Cheers

14. Gucci

Car:
    The ISO connectors click in fine. I got someone to try and fit an FM booster, so there was some splicing there. If your radio reception is fine now, then you just need that converter from Halfords I mentioned earlier.

The USB cable is a doddle - once you pull out the radio you can see daylight from the footwell!! I just dropped the cable down and wedged it discreetly at the join of the ashtray and dashboard.

Using the unit is pretty easy. The faceplate slide is a nice touch. If you're used to using a smooth, crisp Apple iPod interface, this unit is very clunky in comparison...looks like it runs on a low resolution. That appearance vanishes thankfully when a DVD plays - that looks great. There aren't many options to play with - i.e I'd have liked to upload my own wallpapers, but there are only a handful of screen effects and colours to choose.

iPods - we have an iPhone, a second generation white iPod and an iPod Nano. The Nano is the only one that will play MP3s happily. For the other variants, apparently an adaptor is needed (I have yet to get).

Finally, despite the tight fit, once the screen is clicked into place, it does jut out a bit...not quite so integrated as a COMAND system, but reassuring that you can detach and take with you!

I've only had mine a week, but just had long drive to Cornwall and back - very happy with it overall!

Enjoy

15. OP
    OP
    UniqueTouch

Car:
    ML350 Inspiration W163
    I currently have a JVC AVX1 in the W202 so I know what you mean by clunky interface! But still very useable and like you said, awesome once the videos start playing.

pity JVC still don't let you use custom wallapers :( oh well.

I agree, I do love the fact you can detach the screen too, that's why I went for my current unit.

cheers for the tip on the usb.

I might get the ipod adaptor later on as it's suposed to improve the speed of the interface connection and the bluetooth adaptor so i can connnect my iphone for handsfree.

p.s. have you done any other mods to your w163? pickng mine up tomorrow, cant wait! i'm struggling with getting the part numbers to do the evo pedal mods :(

16. Gucci

Car:
    I debadged mine which looks quite clean - just the star on the back and nothing else - on black paintwork with tinted rear windows. I think once you go too far it cheapens the image of the car.

Good luck with tomorrow - or should that be today now?! You'll love it :cool:

17. OP
    OP
    UniqueTouch

Car:
    ML350 Inspiration W163
    lol your right...just a few hours away now.

just noticed yours is also a 350 inspiration in black. have you posted up any pics?

18. Gucci

Car:
  19. Smatt

Smatt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 E350Cdi Cab Auto, 2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
    Thanks for that, Bob.
    I guess I will wait for Alfie to sort out the MY2009 comand system then & maybe get a pioneer for the C-coupe instead.
    If I had known this, I may not have bothered with the H-K option on the B!

Cheers, Matt

20. OP
    OP
    UniqueTouch

Car:
    ML350 Inspiration W163
    LOL thanks Gucci!

Mines exactly the same as yours!! I've fitted the JVC unit and the bluetooth module (couldn't resist!)...it's awesome!

I'm so glad I went for the petrol over the diesel.

I'll post some pics ups asap.

Cheers