w163 ml500 lumpy idle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OliverLloyd96

Car
2004 w203 C220 CDI (sold) 2002 w163 ml500
Hi all,

I just got back from Canada a week ago after living there for a year. Worked in a Canadian kwikfit basically called Mr.Lube (no one there seemed to find the name funny haha), I just did oil changes, tire swaps and the odd coolant change. Before I left the UK I sold my w203 c220, which I really regret doing, so I needed a new car. Was looking to get an ml320/350, I fancied an SUV after driving a 1998 GMC Jimmy all year, but wanted a Mercedes, so I thought the Ml was the way to go. When I got back though I had to do the 14 day isolation, so I thought I'd have to wait a few weeks before I get something.

I found an ML500 for sale 30 miles away last week, priced quite cheap. It has 128k on the clock, couple lights on the dash, ESP BAS and ETS, and was told it has a lumpy idle. I had a look at the MOT history and it looked pretty good, and it nearly had a full service history (a 10000 mile gap around the 70k mark and 14000 miles since it's most recent oil change, so that's something il be doing in my lunch break next week). I thought I'd risk it and go for it!

Got it on Tuesday, my girlfriends Father picked it up, and he told me it drove really well, plenty of power, the gears changed effortlessly (looking at the service file I discovered the gearbox oil had been changed twice, which I was very happy to see!). Just when he stopped at the lights the car would shake a bit.

I love the car, both the interior and exterior is in great condition, only thing wrong with it is a bit of bubbling under the arches, but expected from an 02 merc. Started washing it tonight, will finish it tomorrow, might put some pics in the detailing section once it's done.

All I've been able to do is start the car up on the drive. I've noticed that when it starts up it revs up quite high, then comes down a bit, sits at about 1300-1500rpm for a bit, the needle constantly moving a bit. Then if I put the car into drive the revs drops down to about 600-700, and the needle continues to move a bit.

I've researched it online and seen the various things that could be wrong (spark plugs, ignition cables, vacuum leak, maf etc).

I'm planning on driving 70 miles on Wednesday when my quarantine ends to go back to south wales, as I start work on the Wednesday.

I was wondering if I could cause any damage to the car by driving it, will most likely be about 300 miles until I get the car seen to, will be taking it to a local indie in the South Wales area to get it plugged into star. Or would it be a better idea to get it seen to possibly on Monday/ Tuesday before I drive it far?
would be tricky to get this done due to my circumstances and getting the car in on so short notice.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
MAF SENSOR, FUEL FILTER, OIL FILTER, AIR FILTER, AND ENG OIL.
CHECK INJECTORS, EGR AND PIPES - VAC LEAKS.
INTAKE CLEANER (Normfest DC980 - Diesel Air-Intake System Cleaner 400mlProduct Code: NOR2897369 EUROCARPARTS, <£9.)

BRAKE FLUID ALSO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom