W163 ML500 Suspension upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W163ML500

Car
Mercedes ML500 2002
I went on the price hunt of a set of Bilstein 30% uprated off-road mono tubes, double action gas shocks.
For this Mercedes ML, Bilstein B3 all round.
I have known about shock upgrades for road/race off-road all my life, so always try to give myself more handling and better control at every corner. Hence, AMG and all the others do this off the bat to save you the hassle.

Then you have another 30K-50K of better road manners and more positive road handling at power.
This upgrade was actually very cheap.
All in, including VAT and delivery was around £860. This never even bought me one air shock for my other car.

The Springs are also Bilstein, but not uprated, standard only, as i am not going off-road on competition with the vehicle, so want some confort at low speed.
The top mounts are Bilsteins.
The entire rear brakes are Bilstein, but they did not have the front in stock, so i opted for a set of Stark's which are not on par, name wise, but no problems on the few miles I have covered on the vehicle.

Because they are small squat springs, I had to use 4 spring compressors to get them compressed enough to get them together.
This method is old school, as hydraulic compressers are now used, but at home, this still works.

I have swapped out the front ones for these, but still have to do the rear swap-out.
I am concentrating on the entire front first of anything needing replaced, rebuilt.

Attachments

• DSC_7524-web.jpg
    DSC_7524-web.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_7525-web.jpg
    DSC_7525-web.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_7532-web.jpg
    DSC_7532-web.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7590-web.jpg
    DSC_7590-web.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_7591-web.jpg
    DSC_7591-web.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 4
Those look great, I wish I had done that on my W163 rather than replacing the standard Shocks at extortionate cost. Let us know how it feels on the road once you've finished the installation.

Those look great, I wish I had done that on my W163 rather than replacing the standard Shocks at extortionate cost. Let us know how it feels on the road once you've finished the installation.
I have done the front already and the rear are recently changed by merc, just before I bought the vehicle, so still new, but lean into the corners.
This was the first thing I noticed when test driving this Merc. and new how to fix this no problem, from single action, to double action. You then have to swap out all bushes and anti-roll bar bushes, as these will show up badly as the suspension is harder and stiffer now.

Although the merc is off the road, I did get the chance to try out the front ones before she through this wobbly on the ETC on me and worse than limp home mode.

Like you say, I got these Bilstein upgrades cheaper than the factory standards fitted by Mercedes.
I saw a lot of complaints on youtube about the hardness of the three top bolt nuts for access, but i found a short 13mm stubby ratchet spanner fits no problem.

I had to cut the front original shocks off, as the top mount nuts were gone with rust and the nut was no more really, just a rounded bit of corrosion, stuck to the top washer.

I have done the front already and the rear are recently changed by merc, just before I bought the vehicle, so still new, but lean into the corners.
This was the first thing I noticed when test driving this Merc. and new how to fix this no problem, from single action, to double action. You then have to swap out all bushes and anti-roll bar bushes, as these will show up badly as the suspension is harder and stiffer now.

Although the merc is off the road, I did get the chance to try out the front ones before she through this wobbly on the ETC on me and worse than limp home mode.

Like you say, I got these Bilstein upgrades cheaper than the factory standards fitted by Mercedes.
I saw a lot of complaints on youtube about the hardness of the three top bolt nuts for access, but i found a short 13mm stubby ratchet spanner fits no problem.

I had to cut the front original shocks off, as the top mount nuts were gone with rust and the nut was no more really, just a rounded bit of corrosion, stuck to the top washer.
How is the car handling now, i presume you have finished the upgrade? I have one of these models as well and have been looking for a solution to the suspension. Love this car. Can i ask where you got your full kit from for the suspension?

Many thanks

How is the car handling now, i presume you have finished the upgrade? I have one of these models as well and have been looking for a solution to the suspension. Love this car. Can i ask where you got your full kit from for the suspension?

Many thanks
She handles like a car at times instead of a high up jeep/truck.
But always remember she is very high off the ground, so will not corner like a low down race car. I have ended up with my vehicle sitting just right, NOT lowered and prepared for a race track.

(It actually sits at the correct makers height when they rolled off the production line in the US. People actually think it is too high, so goes to show there ignorance of not understanding vehicle shocks and springs cause a car to lower over the years through wearing out).

Do you want the companies I used for this set-up?
Buy Car Parts & Accessories Online | Auto Parts Online | TDC Automotive - Rear Bilstein Springs x2 (Standard, NOT 30% stiffer)
Bilstein Suspension The Best Suspension in the World | Bilstein Suspension - All 4 shocks
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ - 2x Top rear strut mounts Bilstein (Website ref - 12-173495)

If you enter your vehicle reg and details, these websites will show you all that is available for the merc, and just scroll through until you find the Bilsteins, B4, B6, B8. The website will tell you the difference in numbers and what they are for. So down to you to decide what you want.
Hope this helps.
I can post actual part numbers if you want of the 4x shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom