W163 Power folding mirrors gone wrong (I think somebody kicked them last night)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DexterML

Car
W163 ML270
Hi all

The sage continues. This time not due to a fault of the car I think. The folding mirrors worked fine and this morning I find one of them extended and the other one folded.
I try the switch a few times, as I know this resets them on most cars but now I get:

One folds (but then won't unfold) while the other does nothing
They both move but one of them will stop in a random position then both won't move
one will unfold and fold but the other will unfold up to a point and then won't follow any movement.

Is there a way to 'reset' ..set them straight. I know the motors are working somewhat.

Just a guess, get them in the same position then disconnect battery for 30 mins. This may reset them. Probably someone will be on saying this is a lot of rubbish. Hope you get them sorted.

The mirrors (or at least the housings) are designed to detach if struck. One needs to completely unfold manually and then give the housing a sharp knock towards the front of the car, as if to open them further, this locks them back in and the electric adjustment should sort itself out.
When a lady slipped on some ice and collided with one of my C class mirrors I was in the dealer's car park and friendly tech sorted it. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to hit them hard enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom