W163 stereo upgrade - optic interface query (keeping HK system amplifier & boot CD changer)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CT-Kev

Car
ML270 CDi (2004)
I've got an audio 10 cassette unit in me 2004 ML 270cdi Haven't delved into the dash board as yet..

1) any one got a detailed wiring loom and optic loom wiring connection diagram ?
2) any one got a detailed wiring loom for the adjacent old nokia style phone pod (it obviously connects to the head unit)
3) what optic fibre car network signals are present and how are they used / sensed exactly...

Is the head unit purely sending optic signal to the amp to say which audio source input to use at the amplifier ? if there more than one pair preamp L/R ?

Is the pre-amp music source signals connected via copper wires ? ( RCA connectors or other copper wires etc.. ) say from the head unit (EG radio ) and from the boot multi player cd unit ??

Does the amp for music data say channels from cd player or head unit ? sending and receiving music data from the cd unit, then sending it to the amp via speaker copper wire ? or is serialized music data fed from CD player straight to head unit or amp )

4) Can you buy a after market gadget to interface with the optic system head unit connector (or splice a new one), so i say trick rest of system.

I don't wanna roof lifting 10 million watt car amp and rewire the speakers really, as that would spoil the quality of the factory fitted set up 'woofers/tweeter etc.. there probably not standard 4ohms either as its a specialized tuned system designed for optimum output and around the HK amp under drivers seat) .

(PS... Ive got competent ability at electronics level, but human and don't know everything etc.. ).

You can buy a "box" to convert the RCA's on a newer aftermarket radio to mb fibre optics - the Chinese double din sellers sell them as a extra for about 75 quid. I was going to buy one but bricked it at the last minute and dumped my HK amp and sub. Just added a quality alpine amp which worked fine with the remaining HK speakers despite being only 2ohm

The amp on. your car is optical from the head unit.

Easiest way is to replace the amp, under the dash on the drivers side with a small unit from Pioneer or Alpine and put in a new head unit.

Use the existing wiring from the amp to the speaker and splice them into your new amp, you can use the power as well that is already there.

Then just run an RCA cable from the new head unit to the new amp.

Mercedes Bose Sound System for the W163 ML - What's Inside

2001-2005 Ml350 Stereo Upgrade - MBWorld.org Forums

There are very very few cars with Audio-10 and BOSE. So yoy probably have no external amp. Pop out the stereo and see if there are speaker wires .. or look for BOSE on the door speaker grilles (can't remember the markings on a W163 - sorry)

If you do have an amp, then gIzzE suggestion is the best idea. If you do have an amp, then it is. a single pair of fibres which audio and control goes over. To be exact it is actually a single fibre ring that goes via phone, CDC, head-unit, AMP and TV tuner and Linguatronic which weren't available on UK W163) and back to the head unit -

The adjacent Nokia does not connect the the head unit directly. It connects to the phone controller under the seat. That is then on the fibre-optic network (which does connect to the head unit)

Audio-10 is D2B fibre. you can not buy a box to convert to D2B, only to MOST - the chipsets are not available any more to make anything for D2B...

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom