W163 - summer tyres in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
I have a 2005 ML350 W163, currently running on the original 8.5 x 17 wheels with Dunlop SP sport 5000. These wheels are looking rather shabby and I feel that there is too much sidewall for good handling (I have never taken the car off road)

I have obtained some 8.5 x 19 wheels, with 255/50/19 Vredestein Ultrac SUV Sessanta tyres which seem to show good reviews. Vredestein Ultrac SUV Sessanta | the Vredestein Ultrac SUV Sessanta reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

In winter, I keep to main A roads & motorways which are usually kept well gritted, so I have never had a real need for winter tyres.

Can I safely assume that the Vredestein tyres will be similar to the Dunlops in terms of grip in the wet / very mildly slushy conditions I am likely to encounter?

Hi, I can't comment on the Ml with the SUV version, but I have Ultrac Sessantas on my Seat Leon Cupra TDI and they are the best tyres I've ever had for grip in dry and wet (much better than my Dunlop SPSports).

If your sticking to A roads etc during winter I would be surprised if you have any issues .

My leon is useless in snow full stop with Sessantas or any other tyre ( front wheel drive with wide tyres and lots of torque) but I'm sure on the 4wd ml it will be fine ( they are what I'm going to put on my ML when tyres are due - unless you tell me they are rubbish in a few months time :)

Hope this helps .
Moz

Traction will be fine but just remember they will be poor in braking on ice/snow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom